this dedication is not for you | Teen Ink

this dedication is not for you

By minseokkie SILVER, Goose Creek, South Carolina
minseokkie SILVER, Goose Creek, South Carolina

We can't help but to be human and get hurt.
-Do Kyungsoo

every time i bought a drink, it went on a napkin. i would drink to forget about him. the cup would drip condensation like my eyes dripped tears. and i couldn’t forget about him because the napkin filled with words about him. i wrote for him then.

every time i laid in bed for sleep, my mind stayed awake to think about him. i didn’t want to listen but my ears were tuned in. so the light would turn back on and my pad of sticky notes filled with words about him. i wrote for him again.

every time i cooked, i pulled out index cards to write the new recipes. yet my hand didn’t want to write about spices. my fingers ached to hold his. i traded meatballs for longing and my scattering of index cards filled with words about him. i wrote for him some more.

every time i recalled the good and the small things, i pulled out my journal to record for looking back. but was my heart not in it? did i not want to look back on what was said to me in the morning? my heart took over my thoughts and the pages filled with words about him. i never seem to run out. i keep writing for him.

but i can't dedicate a single word to him.