Warren Hills | Teen Ink

Warren Hills

April 9, 2016
By SaraRhinesmith BRONZE, Hackettstown, New Jersey
SaraRhinesmith BRONZE, Hackettstown, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

First period.
Y=mx+b and don’t you forget that pi = 3.14
Second.
Why don’t they teach proper grammar?
Third.
They don’t even teach the real reasons behind global warming.
Four.
Why do they require financial literacy if not how to change a tire?
Lunch.
Fist fights over girls, and those slow walking freshmen make a person question their sanity.
Five.
Spanish is still considered a world language? It’s approaching the most spoken language in the United States.
Six.
We only teach the history our country is proud of.
Seven.
Media is about seeing past the social stereotypes but in my own school the security guards frisk me down on a daily because my blue hair makes me a delinquent.
Eight.
Driver’s Ed is more about watching gruesome videos than actual driving.
One dead to speeding.
One dead to texting.
One dead to alcohol.
One teacher who believes there are 6 million people who live in Jersey?
Just another day in bustling hallways and classroom full of empty-eyes zombies.

I can’t tell you how to do my taxes but rest assure the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.
Teachers don’t understand that intelligence is ridiculed these days. Why else would a 4.0 student not raise her hand?
Intelligence isn’t a disease, it’s a power.
Why are young writers forced to change their gender pronouns to avoid “offending” their peers?
Why are my shoulders sexualized by the boys at my school, but their sagging pants are unnoticed at their knees?
Why is my religion a defining characteristic of who I am?
And to the principal who tries to belittle me in front of the crowds in the hall, take my middle finger and leave me the hell alone. No one believes your fire engine red hair to be real anyways.

Teachers can’t answer your questions but they can categorize the captain of the football team’s 2.1 GPA over my 3.8.
And please, by all means, take my phone – but you better be paying the bill this month.
    “You come to school to learn.”
No, I come to school because it’s the law.
I’ve learned more on the streets than in these echoing classrooms.
My fights off school grounds are not your concern.
Stay off my Facebook.
Stay away from my business.
School is not my entire life.
Schools teach you that sex is wrong and to not have instead of how to prevent pregnancies.
They teach you to seek help for your mental illnesses but still single you out in front of your peers.
And guidance counselors give as much guidance as my dead hamster.
But go on.
Tell me how schools cares.
Tell me how beneficial its resources are.
Guess what?
An icepack cannot fix my depression.
An icepack cannot fix my broken home
An icepack cannot fix the ozone layer.
An icepack cannot fix my poverty.
An icepack cannot fix the suicide plans I made first period.

First period.
Y=mx+b