Open Arms

I got your goodbye today,
Though it arrived ten days late.
Was telling me too much,
Did you have too much on your plate?

You should’ve seen the snow this morning,
All white and fresh and new.
So beautiful it brought tears to my eyes,
But only because it made me think of you.

What I would give to hug you,
To look you in the eyes,
To tell you what you mean to me,
Because maybe then you’d realize:

I’ll love you for forever,
Despite your so called flaws.
And when you come home I’ll be here,
With a smile and open arms.

tigerlilyorangeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 17 at 4:59 pm
I'm left wondering the author would welcome back someone who mailed a goodbye 10 days too late? Maybe develop the author's emotions more; are they angry? disappointed? or merely nostalgic? Also, I don't think you need "so-called." Unless you explain why they are so called, it is unnecessary. Instead of saying "what I would give to hug you," maybe describe something you would actually give. This being said, it is a beautiful little poem and I really enjoy your style!!

hwoodruff98 said...
Mar. 17 at 4:41 pm
This was a very sweet poem. I'm not exactly sure what it's about. I think it might be either a friend or a son leaving a friend or mother/father. That being said, I like that it's not clearly stated. It leaves it more open and ambiguous, so people can analyze and connect to it in different ways. As far as criticism, I would say that "so-called" is actually hyphenated. Additionally, you might want to use a comma instead of a period after "flaws," because you used a conjunction. Otherwise, nice poem!