Fall From Glory: The Colosseum | Teen Ink

Fall From Glory: The Colosseum

March 17, 2016
By 6maddex GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
6maddex GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

His heart pounds against the inside of his steel chestplate like a drum.

The hanging door creaks open as the crowd’s roar amplifies.
The pale gold sand suddenly feels uneasy as nerves flush throughout his body.
His clammy hands struggle to get a strong grip on the handle of his sword.
All eyes on him, for this is his rise to glory.

The door finally reveals the entire arena and the crowd’s volume peaks.
He shakes off his nerves and absorbs the atmosphere as he takes his place.
A bead of sweat rolls down his face as his opponent is revealed.
The gleaming sun bounces off of his armor and the horns blare.
All eyes on him, for this is his rise to glory.

His breathing intensifies and his boots drive deeper into the sand with each step.
The swords clash with a might that makes his ears ring and his arm vibrate.
Another strike draws blood, the crimson stains the sand, and the crowd gets louder.
A fighting style he almost recognizes, but no match for his experience.
All eyes on him, for this is his rise to glory.

Cries of pain echo and ricochet inside his helmet as he continues to draw blood.
The crowd is deafening and adrenaline courses through his veins rapidly.
A final strike takes his opponent off of his feet and leaves him gasping for air.
The emperor recognizes that the battle is over, and signals a thumbs down.
All eyes on him, for this is his rise to glory.

The blood-soaked helmet slips off of his opponent’s head and shock overwhelms him.
His older brother’s face with fear stricken eyes lay beneath him.
His eyes must be playing tricks on him-this can’t be real.
His sword slips from his grasp and he falls to his knees.
All eyes on him, for this is his fall from glory.

The crowd is outraged for no lives were taken.
Refusal to execute is to be punished by hanging.
Both fighters are taken and set to be hanged.
Side by side, hand in hand, the brothers spend their final moments together.
All eyes on them, for this is their fall from glory.