Ten Things You Need to Know About Anger | Teen Ink

Ten Things You Need to Know About Anger

By E.M.I SILVER, Chico, California
E.M.I SILVER, Chico, California

She has been through hell, so believe me when I say, "Fear her when she looks into a fire and smiles."

One. I'm not angry all the time. It might seem like it, but I'm not.

Two. Quit asking me if I'm okay. I'm fine! I deal with this every day dammit!

Three. Yes, I may be mentally damaged. But why does that matter? Do you think that just because I'm not as great at calming myself down as you are, I'm, all of a sudden, not able to do anything as well as I could as when I'm calm?

Four. Dammit! I'm fine! Can I not be a regular teenage girl who rants when she feels passionate about an issue? So what if I sound angry. I'm frustrated! This is how I sound when I'm frustrated!

Five. Anger hides. It hides from you and locks itself up. It bubbles and it fumes and it builds up and then it pours out all at once. And it always poors out at the worst moments.

Six. No, I won't turn green. I'm not the Hulk. I may turn red, but not green.

Seven. Just let me be! I don't need your help, I need your peace. I need you to go away. I need to be alone. So let me be!

Eight. "Please make it stop," I tell myself. I'm in my head. Don't look at me like that, I'm in my head.

Nine. Don't look worried. It will only make it worse. If you look worried them I'm worried and if I'm worried I'll get mad and I'm already angry and if I'm mad I'll get angry and, like I said, I'm already angry!

Ten. Finally, I'm at the point where I start to cry. I cry and cry and cry, but I'm still fuming with anger. I can't help it any more, but I know after this I will be fine, at least I think. I know I said to leave me alone and I know that all I've been doing is yell and scream at you but all I want is a hug. All I want is to be okay. And, in a way this was a test, a test to see if you would have stayed or if you would have gone.

Eleven. I know I said then things but this is just to let you know that, in the end, I never really calm down completely. I'm still angry.

I grew up not knowing how to deal with anger. Through time, especially these past two years, I have learned how to cope with it. But I occasionally burst out with anger. This was inspired by a time when my dad and I got into an argument and I got so frustrated I started to cry. I am not a very emotional person in general, so when I started to cry my dad did not know what to do.