The Past | Teen Ink

The Past

By Hope_T. PLATINUM, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Hope_T. PLATINUM, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing." ~Socrates

Sometimes I feel as if my life is composed of two pastimes, separate but born of similar thoughts.  One half is spent in agony, painfully forcing myself to ignore half the memories before they drive me through insanity.  The other half I spend deliciously craving, feeding off the wonderful thoughts until they drop into the background of oblivion.  They carry me until they are no longer real sensations, but only vague images which leave holes--questions, and most of all, doubts.

The past is my consciousness as a cardboard box of nostalgia.  I do not live now, but only in a world that reaches for my memories with bony fingers, grasping at the smiles and laughter from their large, dark abyss of desperation.  The skeletons live facing backwards, viewing what happened weeks, months, years ago until they pull their hair to stringiness and give up in a puddle of lamentation.

The lamentation grows, expounds upon itself in a swirling tunnel of self-pity and estrangement until I am forced to focus bleary vision and beam to au courant memories.

The_Gypsy BRONZE, Sault Ste Marie, Michigan

“The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

It seems that you remember the most of memories of bad times. Times you wished didn't happen or wish you did correctly and perfectly. The good memories make us feel good of the nostalgia of our emotions at that time, but as we move on and get older, we lose the feeling of it and the only memories we are faced with are the bad ones, the ones we wish didn't exist.