Heart and Sole This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Some pin their hearts on their sleeves,
Or chains sliding down their necks,
Or clips woven into brightly streaked hair.
I wear my heart, large and bright,
On the bottom of my Converse low-tops,
Crusted with dried dirt that has long since hardened
On the glow-in-the-dark rim
That envelops shiny, clear vinyl
In which my purple-and-yellow-patterned socks show through.
They stretch up to my knees,
Slightly crumpled, uneven and striking.
Winding and folding down long tan legs
And into size 10 low-tops hugging size 10 feet
That have never longed for the caressing softness
Of gentle sheepskin in Australian boots.
With neon stockings pulled over them,
My thin, long feet progress into
Thin, long toes, irregular and bent by nature.
Tips dipped in shiny cobalt and midnight charcoal,
The brilliant colors are useless and hidden.
I wear my heart large and bright, though unseen,
On the bottoms of my shoes.
Shown only through the acts of jumping, kicking, or falling,
Dirtied with mud and worn from miles,
I pin my heart proudly on my sole.

Kyzafish said...
Morgan, this is fantastic. Reminds me of myself in many ways. I love you girlie, you've got an amazing talent.

Mattsgirl said...
May 23, 2009 at 1:08 am
This poem is a heartfelt and filled with detail!! Their vocabulary was very big but easy to understand! But the author seemed to be a little melancholoy and sad but still interesting and something I would keep reading if there was more I hope to hear more from her!!!

alayapoetgirl said...
This piece is extremely creative and descriptive, I can picture it ALL!!! You're an articulet poet, keep this in mind.

Sarah W. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was beautiful :) I really loved the metaphor thing you had going on, and I especially enjoyed how it lent double meaning to your words, especially the ending (particularly the last line). Absolutely wonderful and a delight to read :)

Mrs.J said...
Wow Morgan! Nice images!

MariaMarie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 14, 2009 at 12:41 am
Beautiful, different. -That's a good thing :)

Tayler H. said...
It was good i liked it

Scotty! said...
Great, great poem. I love the analogy. It works out wonderfully with the way that you wright. Beautifully done.

jazzyboo said...
May 10, 2009 at 2:38 am
i love this and that is so true and where my heart is in my eyes lol it's where it shows my love passionate and everything

Courtney.Firestone said...
That's a really neat idea, it's like individuality and vulnerability all at the same time... Or at least that's what I got out of it. Don't you love when you write something that people can interpret in ways you didn't even think of (not that my interpretation was that original, ahaha!)? Anyways, very nicely done!

But I like Uggs. :)

blingblang4eva said...
aweosme :)

Victoria26 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 28, 2009 at 1:36 am
Nice analogy! Your good at this.

Kumang said...
Apr. 27, 2009 at 8:28 am
its super awesome

scorpiosmeredith said...
Apr. 25, 2009 at 12:00 am
I thought this was rather creative-i was expecting something rather corny after the I wear my heart on....line, but when you switched it up with converse, i loved it

lulu said...
really great imagery.
the entire poem had an interesting, mysterious and melancholoy tone that made the words taste bittersweet when i read them aloud.