An Everyday Oasis | Teen Ink

An Everyday Oasis

January 13, 2016
By Skyler Haines GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
Skyler Haines GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

At Panera Bread we strive to create an “everyday oasis”:
a place where you can relax, enjoy, and ruin employees days guilt free.

As a cashier, my night is never complete until a family of eight walks in five minutes till close
and takes a full half hour to order.

Or when they order nothing but paninis, mac and cheese, and smoothies and then complain that we’re taking too long to make their food.

And if you’re having a bad day just make sure you pay close attention to the child wiping their hands and face all over the bakery glass I just cleaned five minutes ago, I promise it will put a smile on your face.

Since there is always a line out the door, I can count on the little skater boys from the park sneaking in and stealing soda and bread.

Occasionally the little darlings will come up to the counter to pay for something, but I don't get too excited because the’ll probably pay with nickels and dimes and make me count them.

Customers find amusement in getting the whole store angry by swearing that they asked for no tomatoes on their six sandwiches even though they said no such thing, and forcing everyone to redo them.

On the topic of miscommunication, the infamous question of “would you like bread, chips or an apple as your side” has caused many problems. I receive answers such as “soup,” “what are bread chips” and “why would you offer me bread as a side when I have bread on my sandwich, are you stupid?” on a daily basis.

But what truly makes my day is the earful I get when we’re out of an item.
I may look confused as they yell as me, but the customer is sure to remind me that it's my fault that we’re out of the item even though I’m only a cashier.

But that’s okay, “the customer is always right”.