I Am A Clown Fish | Teen Ink

I Am A Clown Fish

January 6, 2016
By GabbyAndersen GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
GabbyAndersen GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Everyday is the same. I wake up, wait for the big hand above me to drop the same food, and rub against my tiny, bland anemone. Only so little to explore in this mini place, and only the same reflections to look out to--Some strange, tall creature that doesn’t look like a fish. Laying into my anemone I close my eyes and imagine myself somewhere else. My eyes open. I’m now in the largest water division on earth-- the Pacific Ocean. I’ve never felt so free! My fins swag through the open waters, breathing in fresh salt water, swimming every possible inch. I swim to the nearest coral reef-- New Caledonia Barrier Reef, near New Caledonia. I rub my body all over the big fresh anemone; way better than at home. I lay down in it, close my eyes, and drift away with a smile on my face. When I open my eyes, I’m not in the anemone anymore. Bright, colorful coral in all directions of me, schools of fish swarming all around, fish I never knew existed. This is the largest living thing on earth-- The Great Barrier Reef, Australia. As I swim around I notice I’m very little compared to everyone else. Towering, shoving, and bumping into me, I realized I’m stuck in the middle of a school of fish. My heart starts beating. Moving my fins with all my might, I break out of the school. Blue water surrounds me, nothing else. Where am I? I begin to swim forward into the deep sea, spotting a reef ahead of me. As I get closer to the reef a shadow emerges to my side. My heart speeds as I turn and see… A shark. I swim fast, fast, fast, as far as I can get. Scared, unable to out swim, fins not keeping up I close my eyes. I open my eyes to see if he’s still there, but instead I am now in the Red Sea coral reef. I swim up to the corals, exploring what is new. I’ve never seen so many different kinds of fish. But wait, those look like me. I swim up to the little fish with orange and white on them, but they aren’t so inviting. With that, I continue to explore… I see blue spotted stingrays, lionfish, and masked puffers. I see soft coral, fire coral, and cup coral. I see green sea turtles, Dugongs, and much more. My eyelids begin to droop with a yawn. Forcefully keeping them open, I lose the battle. When I wake I’m no longer in the Red Sea, Great Barrier Reef, or Pacific Ocean. But instead, I am now back home. The creases of my mouth began to rise-- not able to wait for my next adventure.