Scars | Teen Ink

Scars

By JuniperPaige BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
JuniperPaige BRONZE, Spokane, Washington

What is more deadly a gun or a thought? A gun gives you the opportunity, but a thought pulls the trigger.

Some are red and some are white. Many old and many new. Pain and regret all in one. When they are seen everyone stares. I have as many scars as there are stars at night. They are not pretty nor are they fun they only remind me of something I never won. Many on my wrists and many on my legs and much more on my stomach, thighs and hips. When my shirt rides up you can see my bones and my scars. Things I'm not proud of. Things I wish to change.

Some are red most are white. So many old very few new. Pain and regret will still be here. Not everyone stares, but some still do. My scars still multiply and they still outnumber the stars. They'll never be pretty. They'll never be fun. They'll always remind me of something I never won. Sill on my wrists. Still on my legs. Still on my stomach, thighs and hips. You can't see my bones, but you can see my scars. These things I'm not proud of. These things I still wish to change.

None are red and all are white. All are old none are new. No more self-inflicted pain but all the regret still remains. People smile because none are red. My scars still outnumber the stars in the sky. They still aren't pretty. They still aren't fun. They still remind me of something I never won. Many on my wrists. Many on my legs. And so, so many on my stomach, thighs and hips. When my shirt rides up you can only see my faint white scars. You no longer see red lines and bones. Things I'm not proud of. Things I finally changed. I bottled up my thoughts and things. I fought those thoughts and things and I'm proud to say I have finally won. So smile when all you see is white, because what is now white once was red.

I have grown up around many friends that have had a problem with self-harm and are slowly overcoming it. Something as big as self-harm or any mental illness is very difficult to overcome and at one point or another in everyone's life they will need help. It's okay to ask for help if you are struggling, but make sure to get the help before it is too late. If you take anything away from this I would hope for it to be that even if you are struggling there is always the opportunity and ability to overcome it. In the end, everything will be okay sometimes it just take a little time.