Is this what it means to be a man? | Teen Ink

Is this what it means to be a man?

By Insidemymind123 GOLD, Kent, Washington
Insidemymind123 GOLD, Kent, Washington

Is this what it means to be a man?
Papa had just finished with a swing of fists, a shaking slap, and mama’s tears along his lap.
Is this what it means to be a man papa? My toy trucks say otherwise, but perhaps it’s true. For never have I have seen a man as strong as you.
Mama learned her lesson or at least that’s what you say. But why papa do mama’s lipstick stains look extra thick today?
Is this what it means to be a man papa? To make, mama feel dead even though she’s living. To punish her for all the love she’s giving.
Maybe papa your anger spills from the bottles you drink. The broken ones beneath the sink.
When you’re not here papa, do you know what it brings? Mama’s warm smile with songs she sweetly sings.
Some days when the clouds stay still, I see what you don’t papa. I see mama write what she’s too afraid to say. I see her eye your favorite toy more than me throughout the day.
Some nights when the world is fast asleep, I hear you papa. I hear the words you throw at her with your shameless spit. I hear your voice shake mama along with heartless hits.
Is this what it means to be a man papa? To make your words crawl up her fragile skin and stab her endlessly deep within. 
Papa when you look at me your eyes are filled with love, but when mama reaches your gaze, you push and start to shove.
Sometimes I wonder why are mama’s screams music to your ears? I feel lost papa, the answer isn’t clear.
Is this what it means to be a man papa? To love to hurt and hurt to love. To make mama cry to the heavens above.
But why papa does mama feel different today? Today, mama said it’s our turn to lay.
Mama grabbed your toy and held it to her chest. Her eyes smiled but her lips said this is for the best.
She dragged me near and put her hand along my face. Then with your toy she began to trace.
It happened so quick mama’s lipstick stains but more. A puddle with our bodies on the floor.
Is this what it means to be a man papa? Its hurts to be a man and now my eyes want to rest. If this is what it means than I guess it’s for the best.  

Domestic Violence

on Dec. 11 2015 at 11:59 am
writer-violist DIAMOND, Jenks, Oklahoma

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Oh, my. This was SOOO filled with emotion. This is very, very good. I like the rhyming. Amazing job and you've really got talent. Please keep writing and God bless! :)

on Oct. 26 2015 at 3:16 pm
Insidemymind123 GOLD, Kent, Washington
Thank you so much you are awesome!!!

on Oct. 15 2015 at 6:26 pm
BabySnickers15 SILVER, Columbus, Ohio

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying" ~Michael Jordan~
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" ~Franklin Delano Roosevelt~

OMG. I love it. You got a real talent.