What Woke the Dead | Teen Ink

What Woke the Dead

By mgszumansk20 BRONZE, Ortonville, Michigan
mgszumansk20 BRONZE, Ortonville, Michigan

Just paces at a time, we glided into the lonesome grieving spot, our hearts gold with hope of some silence and stand-still in such a loud, fast-paced summer.
My throat closed and my tongue between my teeth, i notice Natalie holding tightly on to the picnic bag.
I tried obtain the hushed setting surrounded by the speeding cars and trucks
All the while the boys chatted loudly from behind,
¨Why were those gates wide open?¨
¨There are people here, will we get in trouble?¨
¨Why are you guys so quiet?¨
Natalie and I answered with ease, although I could sense her discomfort while talking in such a respected place.

As the summer sunbeams grew stronger and stronger, I could no longer keep cool, my skin lava.
I could sense my hair gradually expanding from the humidity.
Drops of had started began beading on my forehead and palms from trying to hold myself together.
Red patches began to form around my neck from what seemed like an eternity of movement in the scorching heat.
The desire for relaxation clouded my thoughts; All of this searching for somewhere to sit was ruining me.
I was hungry beyond comparison, and the thought of sitting down was pure bliss.

After all the walking, we came to a perfectly shaded patch of grass and began to settle down.
The purple woolly blanket that lay called my name eagerly.
I finally sat cross-legged slowly to soothe the pain that shot through my calves and thighs.
Now in the shadow of the lonely tree, my body was finally cooling down, I was completely and utterly relaxed...

No part of me was prepared to hear this.

Out of the blue, in the caressing silence of the cemetery, Jayden hollars,
“Can I watch BeyBlade on Netflix?”
My temperature then began to rise from anger and disbelief.
There was ringing in my ears, a lump in my throat
The ground seemed to shake, waking the dead below us from their everlasting slumber.
I had the aching feeling that a million eyes were staring at us, and I was overcome with shame.
I wanted to lash out at him, but this was not my place to do so.
How dare he come into such a sacred place of peace and resting, and ask to blast Anime fighting?
The spirits were mad, and so was I.

This piece is a narrative poetry piece describing an adventure I took to a cemetary for lunch this summer with a friend and her 2 younger family members. I chose to write about this event beause I was incredibly shocked by the question Jayden asked me, and I thought it would be humorous to publish a piece of such manner.