Your ancestors have cried over broken nails, ours have not even cried over | Teen Ink

Your ancestors have cried over broken nails, ours have not even cried over

By destinie_okay BRONZE, Rochester, New York
destinie_okay BRONZE, Rochester, New York

This one is for the Treyvon Martins, the Dolores Sánchez Ramis, the Michael Browns, and the little girl shot when she was 14 in LA because she rode her bike in the wrong area

My mother always warned me not to get caught in the wrong place. Or the wrong time.

Time is everywhere though, like trouble that I can't seem to escape. It's like, white people can't seem to escape the time when Jim Crow laws stopped African Americans. When oppression still stops my people and African American's people today. Hispanics, are the largest minority group according to the 2013 U.S. Census. Now, that was three years ago.

Now my people aren't getting killed on a daily, neither are yours. But somebody's people are getting  killed on a daily. And if that doesn't upset you, well, what if I went in your house and shot you for not belonging there.
We get shot every day for not belonging here.
But yall seem to forget we cleaned up the place before you got here. And in order for your pretty little white feet not to get dirty, we had to dirty ours because we had families to feed and real businesses wouldn't give "dirty immigrants" their money. And they seem to forget that a couple years ago, their great grandma was born in Germany.

So this is for the "don't stay out too late" warnings and this is for the "girl don't wear your skirt too hiked up warnings" The "be careful where you put your wallet at" warnings.
The "don't speak too strong, don't look for too long, don't smile too wide because your people don't breathe for too long" warnings.

The "miss. What's her name don't help me man, sheon care where I end up man, everybody know I'm boutta be a dead, man."

The "Uhm I don't take Spanish class can you speak English? Yeah. Thanks."

I'm sorry gringa did your mother not pay for your private school lessons? I'm sorry white girl, does the fact that my tongue can dance around better than your hips ever could offend you? Yo estaba hablando Inglés, ¿estás seguro de que sabe su lengua materna?(I was speaking English, are you sure you know your native tongue?).

Man If i had a dollar for how many times a white girl has asked me, "so, if you're Puerto Rican, where's your accent?"
I'd be rich.
See  I'm just trying to earn my way through college. See, if I talk white enough, I mean talk smart enough, maybe I'll get a scholarship.
Because my people can't say we got something by earning it, if we don't actually do something to earn it. You don't know nothing about that.

This one is for the type of life that may seem peachy and white but it ain't beautiful enough to win a beauty contest type of life, because peachy and white don't seem to be pure enough. You just gotta be white, but white ain't pure you know?

Walking around on "their" land, it's a miracle they don't track blood every where they go because they have stepped on every single one of my ancestors and your ancestors skin and bones to get here.

And I know bones don't bleed, and I know bones are white, and I know blood is red, but now and days it seems to be getting a lot darker than it used to be.