To One of My Best Friends This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I know sometimes
you may not like yourself
and you don't feel
like you're worth much
and I also know
that sometimes
you put yourself down
without conscious thought
you may not feel special
and call yourself a boring person
but your mind set is completely wrong
'cause you're a special person
you don't always see
the smile you bring to my face
you don't always see
that you mean so much to me
it hurts me
when you diss yourself
and make me worry
so much
'cause you're worth a lot
a lot more than you know
so use those seventeen muscles
and give me a smile
you're one of my best friends
treat yourself kindly
'cause I can't always create my own joy
unless you help me

HallowGirl said...
I love this! And I know that feeling  i go through that all the time with my fbest friend 

these-roses said...
May 13, 2012 at 8:52 am
this reminds me of my best friend and I. this touched me deeply... :) good job

livelovesmile said...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 11:32 am

I love this. And i love how you wrote "one of my best friends" instead of my best friend. Not only does it bring fluidity, but i like how you dont put a definite lable.

Please comment and rate my new poem "Safe On A Cloud"!! And some of my other poems, because I'm new to TeenInk: "Girl Next Door", "Captured by Reflections" and "Longing For Those Days" ! 

I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

imboredwithlife327 said...
oh, my effing god!!!! this poem brought me to tears. litteraly. it reminds me that i am important. thank you so much for this. write more like this and i will be your biggest fan. :)

Zero_K This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful message, it truly speaks to the heart, and it relates to everyone. A confidence boost in poetic form. Great job!
-Blessed Be!
+++ZERO+++

kelsey2097 replied...
omg this is so good!!! i agree

Joyce said...
I really love the theme of the poem. Sometimes I feel that way too and I am uncomfortable and not sure what to do. Thanks for speaking for the rest of us!
Hope your friend is okay!

KICK3593 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:02 am
Tell the truth, I've used to hear this said one too many times by some people.

Something we just learned in English today about poetry: If you put forth a first person narrative, you can write the poem and title in that character, and be seperated from that character.

PaloVerde1 said...
I like it. A lot. A friend of mine gave me the same advice; but in a poem, it was a lot better :)

amyxu said...
I like the contemplative tone of this poem. One suggestion: You could take out the lines "your mindset is completely wrong 'cause you're a special person." Then it would read simply "but you don't always see the smile you bring to my face." This would get across the exact same idea as before while, at the same time strengthening the poem as a whole.