Oh Mr. Bluebird | Teen Ink

Oh Mr. Bluebird

By greenmegs SILVER, Covington, Louisiana
greenmegs SILVER, Covington, Louisiana

Atop a blueberry hill sat a blueberry bush, not an ordinary blueberry bush for these blueberries were red berries and the red berries were blue.

And there was a bird, a blue bird, a blue bird, it's true. A blue bird that sang and sang until what it sang could never be knew and since this was an impossible feat, the bird that was blue sang a song that was always, always incredibly new. 

It was this bird I stumbled upon as I hiked up the hill, the blueberry hill with the blueberry bush with the blueberries that were red and the red berries that were blue. 

"Hello, Mr. Bluebird," I said with delight. His feathers fluttered radiantly in the sun's light. "Why do you sing every day and sing with such
might? Don't you ever get rest in the hours of night?"

And the bluebird twittered and pittered and pat, for he was not used to questions like that. But he smiled happily and bowed his head in fair chat as he ordered me to the clovers where I bent down and sat.

"You are different, little one. Not many can find me. But I'll oblige in one story since it's you who surprise me."

"Deep in the woods a long time ago, the crickets sang to the song of the brooks that would flow. And the flowers they towered like giants in the sky, colorful and wonderful, only purpose for the eye. The purple monkeys danced and the blue lions they shouted for it was in these times these things were never doubted. And the fish they walked upon solid land as crystal-white trees bloomed in the ruby-red sand. And this was for all and for all this was this. The marmalade sun shined only upon bliss."

"And the spotted green elephants, why they fit in the palm of your hand and their trunks blew mighty like a sharp brass-band."

"Oh, then there were the bears with their hair spiky and spiff, they called to each other in such wonderful riffs."

"But my favorite of all were the caterpillars that'd crawl, and their wings that would always grow two sizes too tall."

"How wonderful!" I exclaimed. "Surely this is what you sing?"
"If only, my sweet, this were still the thing."

"But as fate decrees, nothing lasts forever. There are always ties that are meant to be severed."

"So stomping and screeching they came through the night, the chestnuts they cried in all of their fright. And the fish they cowered beneath their kaleidoscope scales as birds we all fluttered madly in sails. And the flowers stopped singing as the trees stopped dancing but those things never saw, they never stopped for a glancing."

"The colors all faded throughout the night and the lions' great shouts could not make it right. And now only I, the great blue bird of myth, can recall the past for only in me does it lie with."

"So these are the songs I sing every day, hopefully you'll learn a thing or two in this way."

And with that the bird, the bluebird of myth, began singing again for only in him did it remain with. And I sat on the clovers, content and in view of a blueberry hill with a blueberry bush and a bluebird whose song only I knew.