Mining This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When your youthful command of language
is not enough to convey
what swings its jaws inside you,
when you stand pulling from your shelf
volumes written by the great and inimitable –
names that inspire centuries of admiration,
minds that managed what you cannot,
their icy clarity pummeling you
like a stream of fists,
you of trembling and grief
and writhing weariness –
when your age prohibits you from expressing
your apocalyptic, purgatorial verve,
you don’t stop trying,
you let the sun drop and rise
and then
you launch your body at this wall again,
you bruise yourself willingly,
you throw your whole weight into the crash,
you work up a fury of hope, an improbable recklessness,
you keep going and going and going
never mind the blood in your mouth or bells in your ears
because you are the whale that beaches itself by choice
and you are right to be this way,
you are brave to keep looking for gold

Van1sher This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I was looking through a physical Teen Ink magazine at school and found this poem and loved it so much that I wrote the title down so that I could come comment. I LOVE this poem; it perfectly expresses the frustration all of us feel when we are unable to articulate the emotions swirling within us. I have copied this poem (with your name, of course!) into my writing journal for inspiration. You are a PHENOMENAL writer, please don't ever stop. :)

Ray--yoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm really glad to see this getting published so soon. Congratulations!

JRaye This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is perfection. I'm not sure how else to put it - perhaps because my age prohibits me from expressing my apocalyptic, purgatorial verve ;). Sincerely though, this is absolutely amazing and relateable and I am in LOVE with it - you are an artist! :)

ClaireM. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:32 am
Thank you JRaye! What a fabulous compliment

BeilaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, the voice here is tangible, the imagery nearly literally crashing through the screen with power of its own. "The whale that beaches itself by choice"-- wow.

Thank you SO MUCH

theblondechick This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 9, 2015 at 9:26 am
This is wonderful. You perfectly captured the souls of young writers who don't think they have what it takes. Great job.

Apr. 9, 2015 at 10:55 am
Thank you so much. One day we will emerge from this hotbed of frustration, but it takes time.

02233_Ray--yo_22343This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 9, 2015 at 12:25 am
God, this is just incredible. I'll add this as a favorite, you are something else, truly.

Apr. 9, 2015 at 10:56 am
You are so kind. Thank you dear.