All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Edith T. said...
Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:41 pm:
I liked this! It kind of explains what I feel like sometimes.

VeggieLoverForever said...
Wow, I wrote something simaller to this just two weeks ago. It's funny, I feel almost spoiled because, like you, I have everything someone less fortunate might desire- a familly, a house, etc. I do so much, and have so much fun in life. But, like you, all I crave is a friend. What  I really want, is a friend, with whom I can make memories, and have fun, and have adventures outside of the classroom. Like you, I am also an avid reader, and all the librarians at my  school and public ... (more »)

AlmostPublished said...
You have such an amazing talent, and so freely expressed, it does not seem that your looking for empathy or advice like others, your just doing what you do so naturally and greatly!

ktopakian15 said...
this poem is quite amazing, I would love if you'd check out my poem and tell me what you think, you have undeniable talent- kaitlyn

ItzStar said...
Wow! I can have total empathy for you, I know what its like to not have a friend, if you go to my page, I have a poem on artificial friends... you should check it out i would love to hear your expertise on my work being that you are soooo talented!

RedFeather said...
Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:46 am:
This is a very touching piece of work that I (and alot of people on this site) can relate to. It's not surprising that this is one of the most popular poems on this site :) If you have some extra time, please check out some of my poems and leave a comment :D

nmk1128 said...
Maybe try joining some clubs you may enjoy or getting involved in your community by volunteering or find an online community, may I suggest Nerdfighteria. Nice poem though and best of luck. Please check out my poems and writings I bet you'll enjoy (:

Ujjwal K. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:33 am:
you're exactly like me!

JonathanQ said...
you should just be yourself

KassandraMichelle263451 said...
Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:34 am:
I will be you friend and I know how it feels to have no friends

In_Love_with_Writing said...
very sweet (besides that Pam Anderson comment :( ) but I liked it. Please read, rate, and comment on some of my stories. It really makes my day!

In_Love_with_Writing replied...
Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm :
BTW, I also loved that photo hahaha :)

DreaminMimi said...
This is really good! good job!!(:

HPRGSuperFanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love it! Really insightful, descriptive, and altogether beautifu:)

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
THis honestly reminds me of my friend. (: Great poem, great descriptions, vivid imagery, and everything that makes up a spectacular poem! Great, great job!!

ChobaniLuvinPenguinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:57 am:
Wow! Very unique poem that addresses a common topic in a way that is not cliche at all. It really shows the importance of friendship and opens us up to the life of the narrator.

Gabriella D. said...
Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:52 am:
i love this  

Timmmaayyy said...
This was an awesome poem great job!

death-escape said...
I sort of found this a little cleshay but whatever, i truely loved the last lines though, i thought that was a really good perspective and i can tell you really got in the charachter to write those lines :)

Malaysia said...
this poem was amazing! i think that any introvert will be able to relate to it :D