All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Ujjwal K. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:33 am:
you're exactly like me!

JonathanQ said...
you should just be yourself

KassandraMichelle263451This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:34 am:
I will be you friend and I know how it feels to have no friends

In_Love_with_WritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
very sweet (besides that Pam Anderson comment :( ) but I liked it. Please read, rate, and comment on some of my stories. It really makes my day!

In_Love_with_WritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm :
BTW, I also loved that photo hahaha :)

DreaminMimi said...
This is really good! good job!!(:

HPRGSuperFanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love it! Really insightful, descriptive, and altogether beautifu:)

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
THis honestly reminds me of my friend. (: Great poem, great descriptions, vivid imagery, and everything that makes up a spectacular poem! Great, great job!!

ChobaniLuvinPenguin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:57 am:
Wow! Very unique poem that addresses a common topic in a way that is not cliche at all. It really shows the importance of friendship and opens us up to the life of the narrator.

Gabriella D. said...
Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:52 am:
i love this  

Timmmaayyy said...
This was an awesome poem great job!

death-escape said...
I sort of found this a little cleshay but whatever, i truely loved the last lines though, i thought that was a really good perspective and i can tell you really got in the charachter to write those lines :)

Malaysia said...
this poem was amazing! i think that any introvert will be able to relate to it :D

seeingstars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Shoot, this is good. Really. I like the straight up honesty and detail.

OldYoungOneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Straight to the point. I like that it was also truthful. I wanna see what you think of my poems. Give me a rating and a comment so I can improve. I'd really apprciate it.

OldYoungOneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm :
In my mind I think this poem reflects many teens lives. Again. Good Job.

HOFALOJESUS said...
Wow......I'm speechless! That was a REALLY GOOD poem!! You keep writing poems! I know people like that, it's nothing funny! Everyone needs someone!

trinikiki said...
wow nice poem, i used to feel the same way :/. its ok if i knew you i would be your friend (that is if the poem states real life)

midgetgrrl said...
Oct. 19, 2012 at 10:21 am:
good job dude i liked how you ended it..dnt we all feel that way sometimes?

KiraVogt2896 said...
Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:08 am:
I loved this poem!!! :D