All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Alyssa said...
wow very good poem!

RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 25, 2009 at 3:44 am
Oh my goodness! How many comments are there? It took a while to scroll down here. Well I love your poem so much! I love it's own personal style and I just really like it! CHEESE!(means hi with my friends and I) :)

jasper's_gf said...
May 24, 2009 at 2:34 am
i unerstand just what ur going thu

DinosoarJen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'll be your friend. :]

Loved this btw. You're better than them.

TeenInk.com/search.php?raw=raw

Megan W. said...
May 23, 2009 at 1:37 am
I'll be friend (LOL)!! But I really do feel the authors pain for many years I was an outsider but I started to fit into my personality !! My friends are so supportive of my choices!! I learned that it is not all about your looks!! Just be you!! You did awsome .... Friend

Twilightnme said...
May 21, 2009 at 3:52 am
WOW! you must have lots of fans. I read a lot too. I really enjoyed your poem. I was engulfed. I like the way you write... Kind of expressant, or resemblant in a way. Im amazed... I truly am.

alayapoetgirl said...
You are brave for expressing yourself on such a subject. I admire you as a person and a poet...

snc947 said...
Yeah, I know how you feel. I read ALOT. As much as you. I've never met or written a person who has read as much as me. 600 pages a day sounds like a lot. I guess it is. I totally get your perspective.

Eyesmin Y. said...
As i finished reading your poem, I happen to scroll down to see the comments. Who said you don't have friends? Read these comments; I'm sure a smile will appear in your face :)
P.s. Great poem

Meleah13 said...
WOW,great poem thats how I feel.Your great at writting poems keep up the great work. This meant a lot to me great job!

MrB3n3v0l3nt said...
I think some of these responses are kind of funny. I wrote a response to your poem for my English class and I was wondering, why do you think you don't have any friends? There is no reason you shouldn't have any.

armas123 said...
This poem is great!! It expresses true feeling and gives a great meaning.

musicministry said...
so you got a LOT of comments,and you probably won't read this,but that poem ment a lot to me...i am in the same situation as in the poem......(except for the 80 year old librarian)but it really was amazing...tear-filled eyes:)
keep writing

SagaLiSela This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very good! It expresses true thoughts and emotions, not cliche at all, which some poems with this topic often end up being. Good!

Jessie4736 said...
this is so cute ^.^ wanna friend talk to me :] zach4736@yahoo.com's teh e-mail

WriterofWhatsInside said...
This is pretty good!
I can surely relate to it. I've been there.
Nice work! keep it up.
Also DON'T WORRY IF YOU WANT A FRIEND THEN BE A FRIEND :)

Megaleg__ said...
Simply beautiful! and heart-wrenching =[

Lovrboy said...
I feel ur pain _i feel like an outcast 2_ u need a friend im here 4 u dude

TJ_Louis said...
It's Beautiful. If you want a friend i'll listen.

cazyshell said...
May 7, 2009 at 8:37 am
wow u put into words what people think, I can relate to this poem as I read alot to and hardly have friends and u mange to put down in words how it feels well done dont stop wrting.