All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

project827 said...
nice. long live the nerds!

ilovetinkerbell said...
Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:27 am
i will gladly be your friend. If you truly need one.

ilovetinkerbell said...
Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:25 am
great job on your poem. It really did deserve to be published. I love it and I think that it brings out our true character. keep up the good work

vampluv11 said...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:41 am
nice, it deserved to be published. it's strange how there's only one line that rhymes, but it works.

Jilybeanrb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awe, this is very good. Congrats on being the #2 ranked published poem! And for what it's worth, to me you sound like a very impressive person.

Zero_K This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
BUDDY!!!! Tee hee, I am the friend of the friendless, that is my purpose on this earth. I love your poem!
-Blessed Be!
+++ZERO+++

Matt said...
dude man you dont have to worry anymore...
it now seems that you have plenty of friends now.....<some who might want you for your money>

Tangnefedd said...
The voice in this poem speaks one of the greatest human desires: to be seen and appreciated for what we are. And, difficult as it may seem, perhaps the most powerful thing for us all to recognize is that first we must be our own heart's friend.
As a reader I can identify on a number of levels...the speaker in the poem is not alone--we are out here, looking for a friend as well!

dylonmichael said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:14 am
if you dont discrimanate agains gays maybe we can be friends

Matt replied...
y do you think this is discriminating against gays?

dylonmichael replied...
i wasnt thinking it was just putting it out their for you to know i think its best that friends tell each other everything

katie123 said...
I will be your friend you sound a lot like me but I'm tan.

Sunga said...
Nov. 11, 2009 at 11:16 am
i'll be your friend!! if your not discriminatory towards bisexuals

Ms_money said...
Nov. 11, 2009 at 6:30 am
This is a great poem... I'm not like that guy;I'm not even the female version of him but I get what he's saying. We all need friends(I especially). Great write.

Chase A. said...
I'd be your friend :D
if your not discriminatory towards gays

Daimon, Demon said...
Ryan, you have captured that feeling that every breathing creature with a heart and a conscience feels. I am standing up and applauding you. Wondeful. Cheers, and friends. -Daimon

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aw, this is sweet. :]

~Reaa.Mae~ said...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:42 am
<3 I'll most definitely be your friend. I hate the way people judge other people and laugh at us, without even getting to know us first. Doesn't that just bother you? I know how you feel when it comes to needing a friend. I've tried to change me to get friends, but it's only bitten me in the butt. Best I can say is, don't do what I did and alter yourself. Stay you, and someone will see the wonderful person you are, and treat you like a real person. A friend. <3
more »)

ariwrites94 said...
Wonderful job!!!! you are a talented writer and keep up the good work! if u have time please check out my poem called "Sensitive Am I" and rate and leave a comment. Thanks and keep writing!

oddballinthegroup said...
i will be your friend all my friends are leaving me out and i love reading alot too