All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Bookluver123 said...
just keep looking :)

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
that's pretty sad....BTW i'm new here and would love for anyone to check out my poems. Comment, rate, whtevs, i appreciate feedback!!

I_Be_Keyla said...
Nice job! This was very good!

Micky said...
this is GREAT

twentysixscribblesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:40 am
This is a fantastically written poem, and, to me personally, very relatable. Excellent job.

seanturlan said...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:53 am
This is a great poem and you create line speeds unlike anyone I have ever seen. However, I get this feeling of a fictitious persona or a sense of bragging almost. It is like you almost slipped it in there.

HAILO said...
My teacher printed this and had us discuss it... we all agreed it was beautiful! :) Keep up the good work!!

Sara C. said...
Very good poem!! I am new on here and would appreciate it if you could look at my poemss, thanks if you do!

Bluetooth said...
Hey, im pretty new. Please check out my work, Thanks  

Sarah B. said...
great touching poem

AbbaDabbaDoo said...
A relatable and moving piece. With writing like this, I'll be your friend.

Sunny225LuvsHugs said...
Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:00 am
i kno exactly how you feel

Heyworld said...
Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:37 am
Money cant buy ever thing i get it

Brandon M. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job!

poetrystarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was really good it kinda tells how i feel sometimes

Sunny225LuvsHugs said...
ill be ur friends...........

abe12345 said...
hi everyone 

Wedod2 said...
PAM ANDERSON!!! WHAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

JoyMasonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Everyone needs at least one good friend, but being me, I don't have one that sticks by me till the end. I, like you, love to read, but I also like to write stuff like poems and novels and, really, the characters that I write about are the only dependable friends that I have so, I guess that you can say that, I understand. At an early age, I was taught that it's every girl for herself.

Rhiannon6134 replied...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:46 am
I can kind of relate too. I write ALOT. Poems songs novels all kinds of things. And the reason I do it is because I can loose myself in the plot and its almost like I am who I'm who I'm writing about