All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

quoter said...
This is AMAZING! and it's true.. I sometimes just need a friend.. anyways please check out my poems too!!!! <3

DemoD replied...
I checked out ur poems and they are really good! :D reply back to me sometime and checkout my poems too.

quoter replied...
OMG!! Your poems are amazing!!!! Keep on writing! I even added your poems to my favorites! :)

ShockingBlanketThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is great, it resembles me, I'm the straight A bookworm social outcast. I know what it feels like, but to deal with not having friends nature has been my life. You're not ever alone there. Sound weird maybe, but hey, maybe it could help you.

Jay-WolfThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dude it's crazy how many comments you have, I hope you get the respect you deserve good luck  ( *)>

Naruto101 said...
Sept. 9, 2013 at 10:46 am
i love the poem and the picture of naruto

SunbalSunny said...
i'll be ur friend

Hi_AlisonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 7, 2013 at 2:00 am
" All alone in reality is a scary thing I perfer to live in fantasy and dreams but somehow they end up shatterd, but all I really wanted to say was well done'" said Alison

Archa-awesome said...
wow. that really puts it into perspective.

Presley B. said...
I love this piece. It;s so descriptive you can actually see the scene! I'm very impressed!

Ghalia_ZJ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing! :) 

mtariqq said...
Absolutely love it.

Call_Me_AriaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:41 am
I like how you included all the thoughts of the subject, while keeping rythym. this is one of those poems that I could read over and over and over :D

emmalizmortThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is 100% one of my favorite poem of all time!

emmalizmortThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
sorry I meant to say..... This is 100% my favorite poem of all time.

Smiles189 said...
This is a great piece of writing , and I can realte to it, but the library is a great place, ecspecially upstairs in the teen section, 

cowgirl4ever said...
This is good, and I can relate!!

BrandybuckTookThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:43 am
I bet there are a lot of us out there who can relate to this. You make it sound sad and yet hopeful. But don't worry! There's always someone who is willing to befriend the friendless! (Like me, for example :)

billionaire said...
i love this

Niquel said...
Wow...I swear I was feeling like this the other night. I mean, I'm going to graduate high school with an Associate's degree, I do volunteer work every week, I've picked up piano lessons, I'm a member of NHS, I even stopped biting my nails and lost twenty pounds. While all this stuff is going to help me ten years from now when I'm some successful, legendary person....I don't really have a life right now. I mean, taking up your summer with college classes at sixteen an... (more »)