All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

nomistoo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This reminds me of myself. It's great!

Laugh_Live_Write said...
This poem is wonderful and beautifully written. I love it!

soldtosatan said...
I love your writing..it relates to me alot..i know im wierd and they call me a nerd but who cares atleast im me..Anyway i love the way your poem just flows its really good i cant wait to read more

Red_Riding_Hood This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:23 am
I love this! It's very beautiful!

hopestuur said...
Love this & relates to so much (:

taylorjonnelle said...
I fell in love with this poem. You have so much talent. They way you write is so real, so relatable, and so very honest. You have a kindof quirky way of transitioning from idea to idea, yet it flows perfectly. It is really quite charming. :) I enjoyed every second that i spent reading your work! I hope there is more to come :)

Paradisaically This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful poem.  It is very relatable and it flows really well.  I love it 

MadeleineMoreland17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Fantastic. Just... Real. Honest. Fantastic.

HannaHarris This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:52 am
I think this is a very solid piece of work. I really felt for you. Maybe next time you could add more emotional impact.

Trombonemack said...
It was very good although I would try making it a little more cryptic though that's just my style. :)

KarenZavala said...
Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:02 am
i love the poem ^.^

. said...
This poem is beautiful and I loved it so much. It deserved to be in the magazine and to win the contest. It describes, or can describe, almost anyone's life and I find that that is incredible. It is usually very hard to write a poem that can apply to everyone. Great job! Check out some of my poems :)

JLEIGH96 said...
Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:05 am
I absolutely love this so much. It describes what I do all the time, but without the money. I work so I am either in my room alone reading or working.

themusicnerd said...
This is an amazing poem!  *loveitsomuch*

BaileyM said...
lovelovelove this

Muffins216044 said...
I absolutly loved this.

SonnysRetreat said...
Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:55 am
I love how it defies the social contructs we create about kids who come from wealth and they are always  happy. This decomposes that construct. 

ecma27This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like how it describes the reality of many...

siorose said...
This was really great, as I read it I could feel the feelings of the author. Very relatable. I'll be your friend!!

loveisntrealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
take a look at some of my stuff too if you get the chance! i apprishiate it:))