All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

KittyKat1201 said...
today at 6:16 pm
Wow hay qua vay!!!! Em thiet la thich thu viet nay cua Anh Ryan do nha! ♥♥♥

pineappler03This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 11 at 12:34 pm
This is very relatable. I like that I can understand the feelings presented in the poem. Good job!

literallyliteraryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 9 at 8:30 pm
Wow, this is great! This is actually really helpful, I can really relate to this and its nice too feel like someone else knows what you're dealing with. Thanks for this.

radicalchicksterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 9 at 7:58 pm
it could use more work, but it's relatable. you wanted honest criticism. i hope you don't get offended by that. :(

Netprince16 said...
May 2 at 9:19 am
i love it it inspired me

janesnow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 22 at 8:56 pm
oh yeah? i read five books a day last summer! hot wheels, beat that!

TkennsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 21 at 11:03 pm
Hey, I know this can get annoying but if anyone had time to glance at my work that'd be great. I just have three short poems, but I might do more if I get enough likes. Thanks for the help! I you comment some criticism or what you like or something then I'll do the same for you!

itsrainingcatsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 16 at 10:34 am
Huh, this is interesting and really fun to read! Relatable.

ambivalentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 12 at 5:02 pm
so glad i stumbled across this poem... love it.

ObanAK said...
Mar. 20 at 3:05 am
I know how you feel, I went through the same thing for several years. You are an amazing poet!

quillhoof said...
Mar. 16 at 10:15 am
You can now tag other users by using "@".i love it

LittleRedDeliriousPrinceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 7 at 11:09 am
Amazing...

Kara_case said...
Feb. 27 at 6:24 pm
I love this one so much. I'll be your friend haha

poetry101 said...
Feb. 11 at 7:16 pm
You have so much talent keep making more poems as good as this one.

Zoenikky said...
Feb. 11 at 1:49 pm
really great piece

Dreamer4EVER said...
Jan. 2 at 9:55 pm
Incredible work; Although it made me cry and sadly I can totally relate.

Mahalabelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 17, 2015 at 10:57 am
I feel the exact same way.

ImaginationIsImportantThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
its a great poem :) i could really relate to it except for the $50 thing...but i understand how u feel...and we can actually be friends :)

TamieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is really good. I hope this published in the mag.

MADDO said...
Oct. 27, 2015 at 6:22 am
Its really beautiful... i loved it... i could relate your poem with mine.. great talent.. goodluck:)