All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

NoniDoniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 12 at 8:37 pm
well written and flows nicely

Mydoublebass said...
Jan. 7 at 12:58 am
It's unbelievable how well I can relate to this poem; I am in the same boat as the narrator.

Liyanams026 said...
Jan. 6 at 11:21 pm
Very well written. Trying to fit in is a struggle, and all you need is a friend. I like it.

EnigmaaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 22, 2014 at 5:27 am
Beautiful piece of worrk

FreshatillyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 17, 2014 at 11:09 am
Nice, Well Written piece if work.

Shortz said...
Really good poem.

Flame Thrower said...
This really seaks to me

alonebutstillsurvivingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
your poem really speaks to me. i read all the time. in fact i am at the library right now. if u need someone to talk to, i am here!

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 23, 2014 at 9:30 am
I love books and I still do. Haha, I think I need more books, but about you poem. I think it's amazing. Your poem has a lot of emotion and depth and amazingness. I can rather connect. I think everyone needs a friend. Congrats on having this published! You deserve it. Thank you for sharing this. 

Alysa the Dreamer said...
I have issue's making friends, but at least, like you, I have a room full of books. My mother gets quite upset seeing me carry in so many books everyday. I don't care though. Books are a passion of mine and a treasure. I love reading and am proud to say that I am a book-worm.

itserraticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i love books too, and people in my class calls me smart. you see, you dont have to try so hard to be like everyone else just. be. yourself. its hard to find a good friend but sometimes you just have to be pateint. 

TheWritingArtist said...
That is so true to life.

AbigailGilgalThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
That was so good! You know, so many guys think they are "too cool" for things like poetry, but you are the one who is too cool for them. Keep writing! You have skill. And remember, you do not have to conform to the patterns of this world. Never let other people's opinions squash your creativity or keep you from the things you love! I would way rather have a smart guy who doesn't work out than some full-of-himself guy who does!

moon8 said...
After reading this poem I would feel gifted to have a friend like you. Also, I would like you to know that clothes are not how someone gets friends, even though it might seem that way (I might not be th most knowledgeable person on this subject though). Actually, I have no idea if you are actually in need of a friend or you have made this up, either way the writing is beautiful.

Starcatcher001This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It is awesome that you can describe yourself in such a brutally honest way while still allowing your poem to have a lighthearted feel to it. I really enjoyed this piece and I hope that you will continue writing poetry! Just remember that in as big of a world that we live in, there is definitely going to be at least one person who would love to be your friend.

DanielaC. said...
I really enjoyed this poem. It was quite admarible how he can say the truth about himself. He doesn't feel bad about himself he is just lonely

NobuoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'll be your friend, send an email sometime or get on TI chat

TheAlchemicalShadow said...
Is it just me, or is every positive comment on here citing an element of "relatability" as the primary reason for liking the piece? I can't relate to Keyzer Soze from "The Usual Suspects" but I still like the movie! You people are so shallow.

Love2Read72This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 14, 2014 at 9:06 am
Relatability is an important aspect of any poem. Poems can be amazing even if they aren't relatable, but when they are, the reader can experience the poem like it happened to them. When people comment and say the poem is relatable, that doesn't mean they're shallow.

juliamolly said...
TOTALLY feel for this and really admire this.