All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

vampgirl1234 said...
I can so relate to this piece of writing. I read at least 4 books a week and always read read read. haha people dont understand why i read so much.and the other parts of it ''all i need is a friend'' same here. after 8 yrs i found me my 2 amigas. this is really good and u should keep on writing. Ur good!!!!

Brittany B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 15, 2009 at 2:35 am
this is really cool. i have the same problem

tweedle dee said...
Feb. 15, 2009 at 12:08 am
hey yah i agree with luke sadness inspires better poetry than happiness for me. some people write good happy poems. this was great its awesome that you can speak from another persons point of veiw! hope that they find a freind though, been in that situation before and it sucks!

Melissa D. said...
Feb. 16, 2009 at 1:20 am
i love this poem... it really is heartbreakening an i wish i could be ur friend... i'm even using this poem in my poem collction for english... i have to do an evaluation on it so if i get an a on my poetry collection... part of it is because of your work... thanx

Mr. Happy said...
This is a really interesting poem/ story. it's like me only I don't read all that much. very nice description!

LexyP said...
This poem evoked a lot of emotion in me. I'll be your friend!

Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is really good

momoney said...
Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

CressFerriera said...
Well, it's an alright poem. Not ever poetic, however.

Alicia said...
One day...
you'll find a friend.
A best friend.
Maybe I will, too.
Maybe we'll be best friends.

MaddyKay said...
I was scanning through the poetry list and this poem caught my eye. I started to read, and couldn't stop. My friend was looking over my shoulder the whole time and we both loved it. We really were inspired and I'd like to say that I love to read also. I can't admit to reading four books a day, but I'm a bookworm nonetheless. Anyway, just wanted to say that I hope things work out. Keep on writing!

bananaman said...
Great poem I know like 8 people who can relate to that

jessica marie said...
This poem caught my eye, The words were so relatable and it made me think...wow someone understnds. So if you have ever wondered if you were alone, like you were the only one to feel this way, your not. trust me, ha that seems funny coming from someone you dont know and will never meet.

i dont know if you have heard of this site called allpoetry.com you might like it. anyways,....good luck.

Bridie said...
Feb. 8, 2009 at 12:43 am
your poem caught my eye because of the word books. I personaly love to read. I find it really cool how you can grasp the idea of a compleatly diffrent person then you, momoney. this is really good tallent you poses and i hope that one day it will take you somewhere far in life. B)

matty hannay said...
that is awesome poem

i also write poems

Rose_the_Writer said...
Wow! This was good; I loved it! I can really relate to it, too. Keep writing! =)

preppytiffanie said...
nice poem i can relate to it from an opposite point of view too

momoney said...
Feb. 3, 2009 at 3:08 am
thanks!

brookiecookie18 said...
Feb. 3, 2009 at 2:59 am
I thought it was really really good! and it was overall a great poem

BrokenWings said...
this is really good...ur amazing =) i write poetry too, mine is similar to yours kind of...lolz