All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

kionna C. said...
Jun. 6, 2009 at 3:45 pm:
i have friends but they still dont really feel like the friends i want!
but dont worry, you'll get your friends. Maybe you'll meet someone at the library one day

nxexnxaxj said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 11:22 pm:
this is a lot of feelin, i def. can relate, 2 yrs back i was the same way, but u have 2 put yourself out dere
great piece hunn =]

Kit-Kat said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 7:48 pm:
I know there are soo many comments on here you may not see this, but I hope you do. Great job, is all I can say, but still... my gratitude cannot be expressed in one comment! lol. I suffer like that constantly, and it is nice to see AMAZING authors-to-be like you put there skills to use in the right way!

bookwormdg said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 7:02 pm:
Love this!!!!! Everyone is mean to me just the same. I understand that if i say "i know wat ure going through", then i'll be just like everyone else. I've been there done that. Kids make fun of me,

Olympians said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 6:51 pm:
that was a great poem. I would def. be your friend. Just be like me don't care what people think of you. It's life everyone goes threw good and bad times. and Some people will regret not being your friend one day:]

birdie said...
May 31, 2009 at 9:18 pm:
that was great, heres my advice try telling those people that if they dont like the way you look then they shouldnt look at you.if people are your freinds they wont care about the outside,its the inside that counts.

Alyssa said...
May 26, 2009 at 2:39 pm:
wow very good poem!

RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 25, 2009 at 3:44 am:
Oh my goodness! How many comments are there? It took a while to scroll down here. Well I love your poem so much! I love it's own personal style and I just really like it! CHEESE!(means hi with my friends and I) :)

jasper's_gf said...
May 24, 2009 at 2:34 am:
i unerstand just what ur going thu

DinosoarJen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 23, 2009 at 9:18 pm:
I'll be your friend. :]

Loved this btw. You're better than them.

TeenInk.com/search.php?raw=raw

Megan W. said...
May 23, 2009 at 1:37 am:
I'll be friend (LOL)!! But I really do feel the authors pain for many years I was an outsider but I started to fit into my personality !! My friends are so supportive of my choices!! I learned that it is not all about your looks!! Just be you!! You did awsome .... Friend

Twilightnme said...
May 21, 2009 at 3:52 am:
WOW! you must have lots of fans. I read a lot too. I really enjoyed your poem. I was engulfed. I like the way you write... Kind of expressant, or resemblant in a way. Im amazed... I truly am.

alayapoetgirl said...
May 19, 2009 at 6:56 pm:
You are brave for expressing yourself on such a subject. I admire you as a person and a poet...

snc947 said...
May 18, 2009 at 7:28 pm:
Yeah, I know how you feel. I read ALOT. As much as you. I've never met or written a person who has read as much as me. 600 pages a day sounds like a lot. I guess it is. I totally get your perspective.

Eyesmin Y. said...
May 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm:
As i finished reading your poem, I happen to scroll down to see the comments. Who said you don't have friends? Read these comments; I'm sure a smile will appear in your face :)
P.s. Great poem

Meleah13 said...
May 17, 2009 at 5:11 pm:
WOW,great poem thats how I feel.Your great at writting poems keep up the great work. This meant a lot to me great job!

MrB3n3v0l3nt said...
May 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm:
I think some of these responses are kind of funny. I wrote a response to your poem for my English class and I was wondering, why do you think you don't have any friends? There is no reason you shouldn't have any.

armas123 said...
May 13, 2009 at 2:24 pm:
This poem is great!! It expresses true feeling and gives a great meaning.

musicministry said...
May 13, 2009 at 1:38 pm:
so you got a LOT of comments,and you probably won't read this,but that poem ment a lot to me...i am in the same situation as in the poem......(except for the 80 year old librarian)but it really was amazing...tear-filled eyes:)
keep writing

SagaLiSela This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 10, 2009 at 11:46 pm:
Very good! It expresses true thoughts and emotions, not cliche at all, which some poems with this topic often end up being. Good!