All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Rosanna1120 said...
this is very good, a bit random but well written and funny. you've obviously got talent and a since of humor. just let everyone else see it and you will be meeting new people in no time. love the poem. kristi
AspiringAuthorAnonymous replied...
i love it!! the true friends dont care what you wear but they do care whats in your heart!! definitely an awesome poem and beautifully written!!!
Claire_Milan said...
I think this is beautiful! I am touched by your writing this particular piece....Thank you for the motivation...
SakuraUchiha said...
that is sad but that is a great poem and if you want then i will be your friend.
Ellie_Michelle said...
I like this poem. :)
LivingInABasket said...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 3:36 am
sad and sweet. I hope you aren't writing from experience :(
Pensivegurl replied...
Dec. 24, 2009 at 10:00 am
Ditto... That'd be sad... But great poem.
P.S. I'll be your friend >.<
Dandelion replied...
Dec. 25, 2009 at 11:42 am
Wonderful! I'll be your friend too.
JonasLover89 said...
Dec. 20, 2009 at 11:13 am
I'll be your friend ;)
Hahaha, I love this character and this is breathtaking. The attitude, the awkward sarcasm, I just adore it!
momoney25 said...
Dec. 20, 2009 at 12:54 am
Alright guys.... so many of you have commented on my poem. I am in school and have a lot of free time on my hands, I can write another one if you want? Just let me know with some feedback.
P.S... This poem doesn't relate to me at all. Just thought I would clear that up :)
Becca1595 replied...
I think your poems are awesome!!! You should really type some more!!! =]
Ridelova101 said...
This poem is great. It shows character. And as said before in the two post under me, it means a lot to me as well and being different is good. Keep writing
Kelz1141 said...
I think this is great. And you only considered an outcast because you don't pretend to be the same as everyone else. you different and thats good. Some day people will grow up and understand till then keep writing and keep up the good work.
UnknownToTheWorld said...
Dec. 17, 2009 at 7:31 am
Amazing and very inspiational...Means alot to me
ItsCaroHere said...
Nice :)
You've got talent , I can be your friend Lol
If all else fails, poetry can always help you when you're lonely.
Love_Me_Not said...
I think it's beautiful. YOu've got a talent and I completely feel the same. I want some friends too and once I opened up I got tons more than I did to begin with. Just be yourself. Sounds cheesy, believe me I know, but believe it or not...It's completely true
kittkattbarr said...
I love it I really do, the story fits so well but maybe not to you. It fits to the boy in the room all alone and even to the girl with her nose in the book. Good job now can you tell me what my poems say and who they fit?
*JustDance* said...
I don't know why the librarians work in the library if they don't want to be there, closing 15minutes early, so that when my mom gets off work late, she can't pick up my reserved books....
Go out there and be yourself, you'll find friends.
Trust me, for a few years, the only signatures I got in my yearbook were teachers names. "/ yeah...
Elvan_Unknown said...
Hey I love your poem. Even though many people have said this already, I love to read too but there are people that like the same things as you, the librarian is a start. So try to talk more to people and try to find people that have common hobbies, etc as you. I'm sure you can find many friends. Oh, by the way, always have a positive outlook on things! If your confident, people feel attracted to you. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like Dr. Phill....I just know first-hand on this sooo....... (more »)
savina said...
I love this poem. I love reading books...the librarian knows me too. I have friends but not all of them like to read like I do, or anything else for that matter.
Siraidly said...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 9:53 am
straight a's without the ability to compute 50 by 36... you ridin the short bus friend? tearin through 5 mother goose books? sounds like you need a calculator too.
I'm just playin, diggin the first few stanzas