All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

writingtiger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh, btw... If u could please read some of my poems and leave comments. I think you would like them from what I read here.

You know just what to say, it's weird.. It's as if this poem was directed to me. I read at least 5 books a week, and everyone thinks Im a freak. Hang in there. Pretty soon all those people that wouldn't talk to you will wish they paid more attention to you. I would.

LoVe♥ said...
Dec. 6, 2009 at 12:18 am
i love this! its so beautiful... it struck me in the heart.

AlwaysWrite28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Well written! I know how u feel! Except I'm very social, its still hard to find a real friend, u can see someone every single day and never really know what they're like unless they let u in! Sometimes it feels like no matter how friendly and likeable i am, that I'll never find a friend to put in the same effort into keeping up a relationship as I do. Anyway, i rambled, GREAT POEM. long liveth the nerds!!!

Katarabri said...
this reminds me of nineteen minutes by jodi picoult. just remember, there IS someone out there that wants to be your friend, you just gotta look for them!! :)

ClaraSwan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i'll be your friend :) lanky pale skinny and glasses wearing people are COOL. just grow up to prove them wrong; when they're all failures, living at home in their parents' basement, you'll be doing something awesome. like writing. this is really very good :)

dreamer10023 said...
aw that was so simple and beautiful

Natie said...
Nov. 26, 2009 at 4:10 am
This was very good! I don't know but when I read this, I was thinking that maybe I should change my oppinion about snotty rich kids...I know that sounded random:) But don't mind that..I know I might seem slow in this question: but is this true? Like real life? Just wanted to know, and if yes then you probably don't have to worry about that since alot of people want you as their friend now:)

musiclover94 said...
I am a really shy person, socially stagnant, if you will. Your poem says exactly how I feel sometimes. Socializing is just so hard... I know what you mean, and I love your poetry so keep writing!!!

TinyDancer said...
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the lyrics"
Until you compose your own song, no one can truly sing along...

revolutionary replied...
perfectly said

tomtamtimmy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 3:28 am
good poem. keep it up. and by the looks of it everyone can relate to it

justme101 said...
I really liked this poem. It has so much emotion. It can touch your heart even if you don't know what the author is talking about. I could really relate to this.

sasha120 said...
i totally relate that me right there (except for the money part) but i really know how you feel

silence21 said...
I loved this, and I'd be your friend but I wouldn't talk much because I'd be too busy reading xD.
Book characters can be your best friend because they'll stick with you for ever.

melon said...
Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:29 am
i can be your friend ! :) do you like aisan music and stuff? your picture reminds me of anime..

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:23 am
wow, this could've been written by me. i am addicted to books and straight a's.

writerxchicx said...
Nov. 21, 2009 at 9:07 am
Wow! While I do have some friends, I can totally relate to this, especially the book and straight A part.
It seems like everyone wants to be your internet friend now but if ya need another... ;)
Great job on this - it totally deserves its #2 ranked spot!

sissie said...
your talented,i liked it.i can kinda relate.

epcelia said...
I totally can't relate to this, but it sounded nice(((: