All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Lullabymidnight said...
Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:39 am:
You just described how everyone feels atleast one time in there life. Thank you.

Amanda24This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow! This is awsome!

switsy21 said...
The pent-up frustration in this poem really comes out through your descriptions. Great job!

Dr.FeelGood said...
Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:44 am:
I'll bew your friend. read my stuff if you want you might laugh

Mr._Poetry said...
I am exactly in the same situation the way you discribe it and go with how we feel or opposite.  

MichealMulkey said...
Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:39 am:
Most of these simple poems that may or may not be low quality recieve so many comments because they are highly controversial topics world wide. weather or not you believe this poem was produced with proper "craftmanship" or "creativity" and "originality", this writer's objective was to reach readers and others that have either felt this pain and conflict or can relate to this type of situation. simply put, I believe this was very succesful. Good job kid.

gowiththefl0This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Is that Naruto in the picture <3?

suvaary said...
Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:54 am:
This is a beautifully written poem:)

kris urbin said...
You keep your head up buddy ol pal

when.words.fail.music.speaks said...
Wow. There are so many things to say about this poem, I don't know where to begin.  Obviously a lot of people can relate to being the straight A, social outcast, missing out on one of the greatest things to have in life.  Something that cannot be bought or sold, True Friendship. Great job on this poem! Excellent perception of emotion!

DemoDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I felt the true emotion in this story, and I am also another person who needs a friend. I am alone most of the time, with only a few books with me... So I know how it feels to be alone sometimes, but yet I will push myself out there and try and make some friends, so I have a few good people, but Im not much of a person liker... ...

DemoDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm :
I'll be your friend too!! I seariously need one, Im so alone :'(

Lullabymidnight replied...
Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:40 am :
I'LL BE EVERYONE'S FRIEND :D

Mark said...
I love this peom so much! So heart touching and moving. We all just need a friend.

quoter said...
This is AMAZING! and it's true.. I sometimes just need a friend.. anyways please check out my poems too!!!! <3

Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm :
I checked out ur poems and they are really good! :D reply back to me sometime and checkout my poems too.

quoter replied...
Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm :
OMG!! Your poems are amazing!!!! Keep on writing! I even added your poems to my favorites! :)

ShockingBlanketThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is great, it resembles me, I'm the straight A bookworm social outcast. I know what it feels like, but to deal with not having friends nature has been my life. You're not ever alone there. Sound weird maybe, but hey, maybe it could help you.

Jay-Wolf said...
Dude it's crazy how many comments you have, I hope you get the respect you deserve good luck  ( *)>

Naruto101 said...
Sept. 9, 2013 at 10:46 am:
i love the poem and the picture of naruto