All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

reblep said...
i really liked it, some people were saying the words were meaningless or made them sad. but i loved it and think its great. keep it up (:

FarFromIdealGirl said...
this was really good, and dont listen to the people out there your perfect the way you are. my rooms covered in books to, doesnt mean anythings wrong with you:)

Hejlna replied...
You think your room is covered with books? You should see mine. Anything from Kindergarten Junie B. Jones to Dickens to novels concerning time. Books are great, but people still need friends.

iwmhbaf said...
I love the format, and the strength in emotion I received. And, if you need a friend, I'm here. I'm not some creepy internet lurker, I just genuinely want to be there.

WannaBeHeard said...
I liked it! Very Nice.

contemplaterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I could tell you wrote this because you felt it. I feel sorry for you, but what you really need is a dog. $1800

staystrong said...
thats rlly good! i can tell that you might mean it please read some of mine.

SaddieBaby96 said...
May 6, 2011 at 9:51 am
thats a really nice poem and i know how you feel

Beastmode said...
i like your poem. we had to read a poem in class and i act your poem out.

AnnaKarenina This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very moving. I know someone just like you. If only you could meet him. You would be instant friends-black framed glasses and all :) Keep writing

Scarletchic23 said...

I liked this, i thought it was very expressive. I liked the idea that even if you try and try to get people to like you and be your friends, it more than likley won't happen that way. Your a great writter and you should write more!

Karma said...
Love it! :3 the poem you wrote reallys shows that everyone needs a friend or two around :D

Juaneylin said...
I really loved your poem! you should keep writing and rember friends come and go but your thoughts are permanet!<3

PrettyBoy121 said...
May 3, 2011 at 7:46 am
This Poem is A WASTE OF TIME AND MADE ME SAD...... REALLY NICE... (SIKE)

birdcage2 replied...
May 3, 2011 at 9:47 am
thats really mean just saying. i mean i like your honesty but please you should say it nicer next time

onlyhope1997 replied...
i have to agree with you (person before previous comment) this has no imagery or meaningful words. im sorry if this hurts your feelings, but this is my opinion. i admire your bravery posting it tho :]

Yourmomholbrook replied...
He is only saying that because he is lonley

birdcage2 replied...
May 19, 2011 at 9:34 am
wait who is saying that cuz he is lonley prettyboy121? the way he said that is really mean, ryan m, dont let his words get to you he is just jelause becaause he can't write a poem as good as you. keep you head held high and keep up the good work.

birdcage2 replied...
ok you guys don't know good poetry. ur mean rude and have know life. so stop

Gabiiiii This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I completely agree with birdbage. Dudes, if you can't be nice, or at least kind in your rejections, you have no right to be posting anything. Appreciate, or go away. Being rude is just wrong.