All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

SuperSami97 said...
Wow!  Very good.  Maybe add some more about the person you are looking for and then wrap it up with how you just really want a friend.  It might make this even more personal and touch the reader in a deeper way.

VampryaShadow said...
Be who you are. Who cares if people laugh... laugh too it will throw them off. If girls laugh so what... there are girls out there who like your tyoe and I am sure thgey are yours too. I like smart boys who have passion... so let them talk and laugh and look... but at least you know you are liked. :)

Yourmomholbrook said...
Johnyboy thinks its easy because the only friends he has is on World Of Warcraft

Suzie17 said...
I think a lot of people feel this way, and are just too afraid to admit that they sometimes feel alone. Especially with social networking, where some people have like a million friends that aren't really their friends at all. Anyway, good job!

SuperHollywoodPunk said...
May 18, 2011 at 6:35 am
Sweer. This is really good. Sort of humourous yet still serious.

EOTthatsme said...
Way to express the truth. You aren't saying you are the only teen out there with problems, which I like. I really like the part about your rich parents... Some people think that because we live that sort of wealthy lifestyle we have it all. But that isn't the way it is... at all. Great poem..Great content..Great emotion..Great fluency..and way to make me think twice.

hounddog said...

...a little dark...

plus it' a little too teen angst-y, y'know? okay so your parents annoy you. join the club.

poem is perhaps a bit melodramatic as well. 

AdalleyVictoria101 replied...
Rude^^ The only reason people write poems is to get their feelings out and you critiscing him. I think its great.

birdcage2 replied...
May 19, 2011 at 9:36 am
i agreee this poem is good and not to dramatic, because you do not know what he is feeling, maybe he i sjust really sensitive.

froggy replied...
This is a great poem and dont let anyone bring you down!!! This is a really great poem it makes me sad but happy at the same time :)   :)

reblep said...
i really liked it, some people were saying the words were meaningless or made them sad. but i loved it and think its great. keep it up (:

FarFromIdealGirl said...
this was really good, and dont listen to the people out there your perfect the way you are. my rooms covered in books to, doesnt mean anythings wrong with you:)

Hejlna replied...
You think your room is covered with books? You should see mine. Anything from Kindergarten Junie B. Jones to Dickens to novels concerning time. Books are great, but people still need friends.

iwmhbaf said...
I love the format, and the strength in emotion I received. And, if you need a friend, I'm here. I'm not some creepy internet lurker, I just genuinely want to be there.

WannaBeHeard said...
I liked it! Very Nice.

contemplaterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I could tell you wrote this because you felt it. I feel sorry for you, but what you really need is a dog. $1800

staystrong said...
thats rlly good! i can tell that you might mean it please read some of mine.

SaddieBaby96 said...
May 6, 2011 at 9:51 am
thats a really nice poem and i know how you feel

Beastmode said...
i like your poem. we had to read a poem in class and i act your poem out.

AnnaKarenina This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very moving. I know someone just like you. If only you could meet him. You would be instant friends-black framed glasses and all :) Keep writing