All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Anonymous 1337 said...
Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:19 am:
i like this poems not a fan rating 9

Anonymous 1337 said...
Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:16 am:
well i like it not a fan for poems but i like so tumbs up rating 9

I_aint_Juliet said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 8:23 pm:
Can I be your friend? That was beautiful! You have such a wonderful talent! Please keep writing!

SElahi said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm:
So much power packed into so few words; keep up the good work!

ashleydarling This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 7:43 pm:
This is powerfully simple and simply powerful. Please know you're not alone. <3

PeNfReAk10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 7:02 pm:
This is a very...INTERESTING poem. I think it's pretty good, but, for me? I'm just not feelin' it, dude. Sorry. But keep writing!

thatgirl27This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 6:35 pm:
I'll be your friend! :D

StylinBlackHat said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:30 pm:
The picture was traced, just saying. Cute poem all the same.

pen4peace said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 8:28 am:
this poem very much...so simple yet so impressive...teens nowadays just really needs understandings and FRIENDS... 

Ravenne said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:54 am:
I loved it! Very powerful, yet simple. The descriptions of the troubled teen are straight forwards yet very personal and moving. The simple plea for friendship is nothing unfamiliar, yet stirring in its simplicity. I loved hoe the speaker describes himself and his life, along with his comments about the ways he tries or considers to try so he could get himself a friend. The speaker’s lack of understanding that it is most likely the unaccepting environment in which he lives that is to blame... (more »)

saranova_92 said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm:

Definitely something many of us can relate to . . .you can have so many things but without friends it seems so lonely. And it's hard to find a good friend who just appreciates you for who you are, imperfections, quirks,and all. Who loves you for what's inside...

Your use of concrete imagery is so personal and relatable . . .for me a poem is good when it causes me to feel what the poet feels - so awesome job! Keep writing and don't let others put you down because your love of words make... (more »)

ImJustAGuy said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 12:25 am:
this is great and i can relate so much too it!  keep up the lovely writing!  pleaseee check out some of my work, im a new and upcoming poet !

Kapoodle101 said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:47 pm:
This is very good, it's short and sweet and right to the point.  I think its true, people judge on appereances, and not what's on the inside.  VERY GOOD!

reman5 said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm:
trully one of the best pieces I have ever read. it isn't too fancy in words, and still doesn't fall short in length or description. just... so deep and expressive with feelings. wonderful, great work honestly.

falling-rain said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:24 am:
this is really good:) i think somehow all of us need a friend.. :) great job, keep it up and check out my work!:)

TheCaptainObvious said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm:
not bad not bad

ImJustAGuy said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm:
please check out my writing, im a new and upcoming poet

tazhpointo said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:37 am:
This was really provacative, the flow was like a raw and honest thought process and that makes it truly unique.  The whole thing gave me the impression of a long sigh.... And a little advice, if I may be so bold, maybe you have to be the kind of friend you are looking for...if your ideal friend would reach out their hand, maybe you should reach out to someone, and they might surprise you with the gift of friendship... its just a thought, you dont have to follow my advice, its just what your... (more »)

HMoreauThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm:
I liked it. It describes me oce upon a time. You will find that friend one day and it will be worth thewait. :) keep writing!

HMoreauThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm :
*once Sorry :)