All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

pen4peace said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 8:28 am:
this poem very much...so simple yet so impressive...teens nowadays just really needs understandings and FRIENDS... 

Ravenne said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:54 am:
I loved it! Very powerful, yet simple. The descriptions of the troubled teen are straight forwards yet very personal and moving. The simple plea for friendship is nothing unfamiliar, yet stirring in its simplicity. I loved hoe the speaker describes himself and his life, along with his comments about the ways he tries or considers to try so he could get himself a friend. The speaker’s lack of understanding that it is most likely the unaccepting environment in which he lives that is to blame... (more »)

saranova_92 said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm:

Definitely something many of us can relate to . . .you can have so many things but without friends it seems so lonely. And it's hard to find a good friend who just appreciates you for who you are, imperfections, quirks,and all. Who loves you for what's inside...

Your use of concrete imagery is so personal and relatable . . .for me a poem is good when it causes me to feel what the poet feels - so awesome job! Keep writing and don't let others put you down because your love of words make... (more »)

ImJustAGuy said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 12:25 am:
this is great and i can relate so much too it!  keep up the lovely writing!  pleaseee check out some of my work, im a new and upcoming poet !

Kapoodle101 said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:47 pm:
This is very good, it's short and sweet and right to the point.  I think its true, people judge on appereances, and not what's on the inside.  VERY GOOD!

reman5 said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm:
trully one of the best pieces I have ever read. it isn't too fancy in words, and still doesn't fall short in length or description. just... so deep and expressive with feelings. wonderful, great work honestly.

falling-rain said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:24 am:
this is really good:) i think somehow all of us need a friend.. :) great job, keep it up and check out my work!:)

TheCaptainObvious said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm:
not bad not bad

ImJustAGuy said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm:
please check out my writing, im a new and upcoming poet

tazhpointo said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:37 am:
This was really provacative, the flow was like a raw and honest thought process and that makes it truly unique.  The whole thing gave me the impression of a long sigh.... And a little advice, if I may be so bold, maybe you have to be the kind of friend you are looking for...if your ideal friend would reach out their hand, maybe you should reach out to someone, and they might surprise you with the gift of friendship... its just a thought, you dont have to follow my advice, its just what your... (more »)

HMoreau said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm:
I liked it. It describes me oce upon a time. You will find that friend one day and it will be worth thewait. :) keep writing!

HMoreau replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm :
*once Sorry :)

EmilyWritten said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm:
This piece has real truth and I enjoyed reading the poem, I think if you tried to dig a little deeper or maybe used different words it would have the potential to blow people away.

GittaRThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 2:18 am :
I see what you mean with digging deeper and the simplicity of their words but i think the simplicity is what makes it great. I feel that over describing such a simple thing could ruin it. But I do see where you are coming from.

EmilyWritten replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:55 am :
I didnt really consider that until now, and I think you're right. If the person over did it the poem would lose the thing about it that is it's strongest point. The shortness the way that the poem kind of flows without dragging. I totally get where you're coming from :)

CyraAideen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm:

I really like this, it describes what a lot of people probably go through in high school. I did, for a while, but I'm making friends now. Not sure if they're real friends, but time will tell I suppose. 
If this is really what's happening in your life, good luck, and just remember, that one day you will find that perfect friend who will always be there for you. :) 

happy writing
 -Cyra

Shortty1314 said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm:
I realy enjoyed reading this. (: You described the perfect friend, just like you. I hope you do one day find that friend that you're looking for, beside those interesting books which lay on your floor (: Keep writing !

Shortty1314 said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm:

BT1718 said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm:

really like this quote and im the same way my friends are my books 

blwblw1 said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm:

if you really describes yourself in that... YOU SOUND LIKE THE PERFECT BEST FRIEND! just saying...