All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

ImJustAGuy said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm:
please check out my writing, im a new and upcoming poet

tazhpointo said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:37 am:
This was really provacative, the flow was like a raw and honest thought process and that makes it truly unique.  The whole thing gave me the impression of a long sigh.... And a little advice, if I may be so bold, maybe you have to be the kind of friend you are looking for...if your ideal friend would reach out their hand, maybe you should reach out to someone, and they might surprise you with the gift of friendship... its just a thought, you dont have to follow my advice, its just what your... (more »)

HMoreau said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm:
I liked it. It describes me oce upon a time. You will find that friend one day and it will be worth thewait. :) keep writing!

HMoreau replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm :
*once Sorry :)

EmilyWritten said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm:
This piece has real truth and I enjoyed reading the poem, I think if you tried to dig a little deeper or maybe used different words it would have the potential to blow people away.

GittaR replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 2:18 am :
I see what you mean with digging deeper and the simplicity of their words but i think the simplicity is what makes it great. I feel that over describing such a simple thing could ruin it. But I do see where you are coming from.

EmilyWritten replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:55 am :
I didnt really consider that until now, and I think you're right. If the person over did it the poem would lose the thing about it that is it's strongest point. The shortness the way that the poem kind of flows without dragging. I totally get where you're coming from :)

CyraAideen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm:

I really like this, it describes what a lot of people probably go through in high school. I did, for a while, but I'm making friends now. Not sure if they're real friends, but time will tell I suppose. 
If this is really what's happening in your life, good luck, and just remember, that one day you will find that perfect friend who will always be there for you. :) 

happy writing
 -Cyra

Shortty1314 said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm:
I realy enjoyed reading this. (: You described the perfect friend, just like you. I hope you do one day find that friend that you're looking for, beside those interesting books which lay on your floor (: Keep writing !

Shortty1314 said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm:

BT1718 said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm:

really like this quote and im the same way my friends are my books 

blwblw1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm:

if you really describes yourself in that... YOU SOUND LIKE THE PERFECT BEST FRIEND! just saying...

Kianie_B. said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:50 pm:
I like this poem! It really shows what some highschoolers might go through!

Sky2Lorena said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:27 am:
i liked this poem i never thought ppl wrote like this. i love it. <3

Sky2Lorena said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:27 am:

StarStrukk said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:25 am:
i LOVE this poem. It truly defines the lives for some high school students. Money can buy you "materialistic" things, but it can't buy you popularity or "true" friends.

eddys96 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm:
I like this. But how does someone get some many comments and rates on their poems and stuff?

MMortonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:22 am:
It's 1800 dollars.

tomtomtom said...
Feb. 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm:
Definitely one of my favorites on this site! 

AimeeRichae said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:19 am:
I love this its so simple seaming yet you have to read it its so good.