All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

curlygurlray said...
i liked it. it captures the mind of a true teenager(: good job

curlygurlray said...

kaidro said...
May 7, 2012 at 10:42 am

This poem was very well done! I like how it talks about how he just wants a friend. I noticed something in your poem, there was one rhyme...

The ryhme was know and row. I also noticed that since both words were at the end of the sentence it is also a consonance.

I like this poem a lot!!

:) Awsome job!! :)

caylajoan said...
May 3, 2012 at 9:05 am
i thought this poem was really well written. It was creative and makes me think that thats actually what you were thinking when you wrote it, word for word, thought for thought. keep on writing, i really love your work.

Bailey98 said...
May 2, 2012 at 7:55 am
I really enjoyed this powerful poem. The rhythm of the poem made it flow, and i also really liked the figurative language mentioned throughout the story.

calmoo said...
I like how you made your poem more than a sonnet because the length made people understand your poem more. I like your cliches. I also like how you put this poem on here because a lot of other people feel that way too. You have written an excellent poem.

Maileece_Johnson said...
Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:29 am
Amazing work.. i know exactly how you feel. I think that it is wonderful that you had the guts to put this on here great job :)

DoraNguyen said...
Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:44 am
really like this peom. HOw brave that you would write this out.(:

life.is.charming said...
so honest and i think any body can relate to this.. i love that you are courageous enough to share these intimate feelings with the world. you are so talented!

sweett said...
Seeing that this has been said 1241 times but this is really well. I love it its beautiful! Excellent Job!!!

Ashlea0813 said...
Really like this. :)

Grace S. said...
I really liked this, you manage to emphazise the feelings of lonlieness absolutley perfectly. Even though i do not know you, i can sympathize for you. I loved it :P

teamo14 said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:57 am
This is amazing!

Agasaya said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:16 am
There are many people who go through this sort of thing daily. I see the humor in this, but in my opinion, the main point is how lonely you can get when you are one in a million. If you truely have this sort of life, I empathize with you. For I, too, find it hard to find friends. Again, if this is a true representation of your day-to-day life, you will find a friend worthy of your greatness one day, if you haven't already.

SexyCobraKiller said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:29 am
I liked it. It really emphasizes how easy it is to get so caught up in unnecessary stuff trying to be cool. Also it is funny. I laughed about the librarians because I think librarians are HILARIOUS. It is easy to relate to, too. Everybody in the world needs a friend sometimes. 

niner said...
i really like this :)

realbeautifulheart said...
This is kind of funny. I'll be your friend! LOL :)

KrystalT said...
Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:57 am
I feel like I can relate to what your saying.

ClaireM.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

LOVE it. =D

Fitting in is not all it's cracked up to be.  Here's to those who stand out...

realbeautifulheart replied...
- Clinks glasses with you -