All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

TheWritingArtist said...
today at 10:56 pm:
That is so true to life.

AbigailGilgalThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 3 at 9:44 pm:
That was so good! You know, so many guys think they are "too cool" for things like poetry, but you are the one who is too cool for them. Keep writing! You have skill. And remember, you do not have to conform to the patterns of this world. Never let other people's opinions squash your creativity or keep you from the things you love! I would way rather have a smart guy who doesn't work out than some full-of-himself guy who does!

moon8This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26 at 5:02 pm:
After reading this poem I would feel gifted to have a friend like you. Also, I would like you to know that clothes are not how someone gets friends, even though it might seem that way (I might not be th most knowledgeable person on this subject though). Actually, I have no idea if you are actually in need of a friend or you have made this up, either way the writing is beautiful.

Starcatcher001 said...
May 13 at 6:38 pm:
It is awesome that you can describe yourself in such a brutally honest way while still allowing your poem to have a lighthearted feel to it. I really enjoyed this piece and I hope that you will continue writing poetry! Just remember that in as big of a world that we live in, there is definitely going to be at least one person who would love to be your friend.

DanielaC.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 21 at 12:29 pm:
I really enjoyed this poem. It was quite admarible how he can say the truth about himself. He doesn't feel bad about himself he is just lonely

NobuoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 13 at 12:19 pm:
I'll be your friend, send an email sometime or get on TI chat

TheAlchemicalShadow said...
Apr. 9 at 11:05 pm:
Is it just me, or is every positive comment on here citing an element of "relatability" as the primary reason for liking the piece? I can't relate to Keyzer Soze from "The Usual Suspects" but I still like the movie! You people are so shallow.

Love2Read72This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 14 at 9:06 am :
Relatability is an important aspect of any poem. Poems can be amazing even if they aren't relatable, but when they are, the reader can experience the poem like it happened to them. When people comment and say the poem is relatable, that doesn't mean they're shallow.

juliamolly said...
Apr. 7 at 8:12 pm:
TOTALLY feel for this and really admire this.

thatoneguythathateschoolThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 7 at 2:52 pm:
No one wants to be your friend

TheWatchGuard replied...
Apr. 29 at 4:49 pm :
That's really harsh

moon8This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 26 at 5:04 pm :
Why do you hate school and why are you wasting your time leaving cruel comments on such a wonderful piece of writing???

AlexandraLThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 4 at 8:15 pm:
I love this!

Lostforever123 said...
Apr. 4 at 12:20 pm:
Its a really good peom i like it. It represents you and shows who you are. Its a really good poem keep writing.

nomistooThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 31 at 8:20 pm:
This reminds me of myself. It's great!

Laugh_Live_WriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 31 at 5:21 pm:
This poem is wonderful and beautifully written. I love it!

soldtosatanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 26 at 3:52 pm:
I love your writing..it relates to me alot..i know im wierd and they call me a nerd but who cares atleast im me..Anyway i love the way your poem just flows its really good i cant wait to read more

Red_Riding_Hood This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26 at 12:23 am:
I love this! It's very beautiful!

hopestuur said...
Mar. 20 at 1:54 pm:
Love this & relates to so much (:

taylorjonnelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 10 at 10:34 pm:
I fell in love with this poem. You have so much talent. They way you write is so real, so relatable, and so very honest. You have a kindof quirky way of transitioning from idea to idea, yet it flows perfectly. It is really quite charming. :) I enjoyed every second that i spent reading your work! I hope there is more to come :)