Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

And I remember she wouldn’t wake up.
Her lips were mushed together in a
Horrible shade of red
They buried my mother in a white dress
And red lips.
And she couldn’t see.
Where are your glasses, Mommy?
And still at sixteen I bring them to my face
And peer through the distorted murky lenses
To see what she saw
Maybe one day …
And I remember it hitting me
Like it does every day
When I hear them all talk and complain about their
“Horrible” mothers
What’s it like to have a mother
I’d give anything to know,
Or at least for them to know how lucky they are.
They know.
And I remember she wouldn’t sit up
And I dreamed of a stuffing machine because
Someone whispered by my ear she was
Cut in half and stuffed
And it made no sense
And still at sixteen I wonder
What happened to my mother?
And I remember her faintly
She doesn’t even smile in my dreams anymore
And I wonder if she’ll ever be proud of me
If she’d ever approve of me
And who I’ve become
The things I’ve seen
The things I’ve done
And I remember her singing
Though I can’t hear her voice
The only happy Christmas I hold on to
Every year
Maybe one day it’ll come back
I used to think
Maybe one day she’d come back
And still at sixteen I hope
Maybe one day she’ll come back …
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up
Not even to say good-bye.

Muzix said...
I love this and i lost my mom at the age of 7 so i know how you feel. It takes a lot to be able to put things like this into words so i applaud you for your work. And always remember she can never be erased from you heart.

TheImaginationOfNessie said...
This article is close to my heart. My mom passed away three years ago, when I was twelve. Whenever I hear my friends complain about how their mom is overprotective or strict or that they hate her, I just want to say, "Stop. You don't realize how lucky you are." Thank you for writing this piece, it's beautiful.

poetryboy21 said...
This is so good. I can totally relate to this. I know how it feels also as I lost my mother when I was 8 years old, and I am sixteen now, too. I love your story telling in the poem. Keep it up!

Payton said...
wow this was really touching i know how you feel when you say people talk about theirs mothers in that way and i think that a lot too whats it like to have your here with you. I lost mine when i was very young and i wish so much for her to be here with my siblings and i

KatherineKilljoy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is one of the best poems I have read. It's beautiful and touching. I love it.

caligurl98 said...
this poem reminded me of my madre. She died when i was 1, so i never really knew her. this is a poem i will hold close to my heart.

Mimi15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Check out my poem 'On our Own'

SuperGalThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Completely reminded me of my mom. She died when I was very young and I don't remember her well but I remember her telling stories. Very touching poem, brought tears to my eyes.

Ella1 said...
This was a truely moving poem. At my uncles funeral I felt the same way. He died when I was 14 so I had gotten to know him, but still I couldn't believe it. Amazing work

zadiekatie23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
A truly moving piece. Brilliant piece of writing! Thanks!

aphids77 said...
Great job! Very heartfelt. Very talented. But I don't understand the stuffing machine.

ThursdayAngelus replied...
because, when they get people ready for their viewing, they do surgical things to make them look presentable, which can be related to stuffing.

aphids77 replied...
oh, thanks.

Reversetrajedies said...
this poem brought tears to my eyes.. i can relate because .. well.. my father is gone. he didnt die. he still alive. with another family. but im sure your mother is proud of you. shes probably looking down at you with a smile on her face, watching her kid grow..

lessette said...
great job! i loved the poem :] keep writing!!!

runnergirl1 said...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 10:14 am
so sad:( a really strong piece.

Emilyourstruly said...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 9:50 am
this is a very powerful poem! great job!

WeAllBurn said...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:09 am
I have commented on this poem, and rated it, at least ten times. I just love this. SO MUCH!

AmbRawr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much :') It's hard to keep up with all the comments but this means the world to me

alligator6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 6:43 am
This is the most beautiful poem I've ever read in my entire life. My dad passed this year so I understand some of the mysteries and the frustration when other people talk about their parents poorly. This poem is just so amazing. Fantastic job!