Memories MAG

By AmbRawr BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania
AmbRawr BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania

We choose the love we think we deserve ~The Perks

And I remember she wouldn’t wake up.
Her lips were mushed together in a
Horrible shade of red
They buried my mother in a white dress
And red lips.
And she couldn’t see.
Where are your glasses, Mommy?
And still at sixteen I bring them to my face
And peer through the distorted murky lenses
To see what she saw
Maybe one day …
And I remember it hitting me
Like it does every day
When I hear them all talk and complain about their
“Horrible” mothers
What’s it like to have a mother
I’d give anything to know,
Or at least for them to know how lucky they are.
They know.
And I remember she wouldn’t sit up
And I dreamed of a stuffing machine because
Someone whispered by my ear she was
Cut in half and stuffed
And it made no sense
And still at sixteen I wonder
What happened to my mother?
And I remember her faintly
She doesn’t even smile in my dreams anymore
And I wonder if she’ll ever be proud of me
If she’d ever approve of me
And who I’ve become
The things I’ve seen
The things I’ve done
And I remember her singing
Though I can’t hear her voice
The only happy Christmas I hold on to
Every year
Maybe one day it’ll come back
I used to think
Maybe one day she’d come back
And still at sixteen I hope
Maybe one day she’ll come back …
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up
Not even to say good-bye.

on Dec. 18 2009 at 11:31 am
peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

Beautiful poem. I myself have not known what it is like to live without my mother, I could not even begin to imagine life right now without either of my parents. Great poem, keep writing. :)

on Dec. 18 2009 at 9:28 am
jahlieca BRONZE, Maynard, Massachusetts

look in the mirror and shoot the first thing you see- by wiz khalifa

this is truly beautiful& sad. i don't know how it feels to not live with a mother but am dealing with the fact of helping my boyfriend through tough time because of the fact his dad died a week ago.

on Dec. 17 2009 at 5:15 pm
sasssgirrrl22 PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York

"Giving up is not a part of my vocabulary."
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
"Truth be told I miss ya, truth be told I'm lying."

wow. truly beautiful. sad, but very powerful

on Dec. 15 2009 at 4:36 pm
The_Girl_Next_Door PLATINUM, Elkins, Arkansas

~*The mind has but a thousand eyes, and the heart is left with one...Yet the light of a whole life dies the moment love is done.*~

Wow. Truly beautiful. I remember when my sister died hearing everyone talk about how they hated their siblings but, lik you mentioned, I would give anything to have my older sister with me now. I know now that you shouldn't walk away angry because when she left that last time, I felt horrible because I never know it would be the end. I know I can never know exactly how you feel (Even though this poem was truly moving). I can never imagine because people handle things differently. Still I said I'm sorry...RIP to your mommy dearest. I was only 13 when my sis died and I can only hope that I will be with her some day.

on Dec. 9 2009 at 10:59 am
blue_punk_pixie, Robinson, Texas

dare to dream dare to fly. be the ever chosen on to touch the sky

this poem made me realize that some people dont have mothers. sometimes i tell ppl i cant satnd my mom. but after reading this i realized that if she were to die i would go crazy. i really do love my mom a whole lot more

on Nov. 26 2009 at 11:56 pm
ElijahN PLATINUM, Livonia, Michigan

"only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything."-Tyler Durdan -Fight Club-

oh wow...I just took a real hard look at this poem..i can't..even imagine losing my mother. i would be devastated. this, is something out of this world. powerful, imaginary, yet so real, something so heartbreaking sitting right next to me, breathing on my neck. beautiful poem. but it brings sadness to those super happy. that's how good it is.

on Nov. 26 2009 at 11:25 pm
ElijahN PLATINUM, Livonia, Michigan

this is amazing. hey check out my first one, Anarchy In The Soul ppl. :)

on Nov. 26 2009 at 11:20 pm
bamboom212 PLATINUM, Chestnut Ridge, New York

"The truth with a bad intent, is worse than any lie you can ever invent."
"You are smarter than you think. You are stronger than you look. You are braver than you feel."

amazing poem. im so sorry bout ur loss. You really found a gr8 way to tie it in with ur writing. I luv it. Keep it up!!

on Nov. 26 2009 at 9:22 pm
despurlock DIAMOND, Morgantown, West Virginia

"The heart has its reasons which reason does not know." -Pascal, Pensees, 1670

My mother died too, when I was twelve. And I can feel the pain and heartache that is laced within theis poem. It is a phenomenal piece and very worthy of being published. I have written some poems with a similar topic and Iwould love for you to check them out and lemme know what you think. Again, this poem is amazing. You are very talented! I still have goosebumps from your words. Fantastic work!

AlbertP BRONZE said...
on Nov. 26 2009 at 3:09 pm
AlbertP BRONZE, Long Beach, California

"I'm a human beeeeeeing."
"Be young. Be dope. Be proud."

this was very touching..i feel for those who are in the same situation:(..keep ur head up though:)!

on Nov. 26 2009 at 1:27 pm
yaelephant5 PLATINUM, Potomac, Maryland

"Writing, I think, is not apart from living. Writing is a kind of double living. The writer experiences everything twice. Once in reality and once in the mirror which waits always before or behind."

Wow. That is so touching and powerful. I applaud you for sharing that with the world. Thanks.

Lheiiaa BRONZE said...
on Nov. 26 2009 at 8:23 am
Lheiiaa BRONZE, Zamboanga City, Other

"Learn from yesterday,Live for today, Hope for tomorrow".

" very beautiful! ... really liked it.."

on Nov. 26 2009 at 8:08 am
Miss_Bliss GOLD, Waban, Massachusetts

"If we did all the things we were capable of, we would literally astound ourselves."

-Thomas Edison

This was beautiful to read as a poem, and horrible when I remember that it was your actual experience... So sorry for your loss, and PLEASE keep letting it out through your writing!

on Nov. 26 2009 at 12:24 am
chrisbriones GOLD, Anaheim, California

"I believe nothing can be justly and completely explained by words."

You and I share that in common. in my case, however, the guilt i bear is for my father. its different, my case, but the base pain and..just everything...is overwhelming enough.

i hope you may tolerate what you bear better than i can ever hope to.

Kagome BRONZE said...
on Nov. 25 2009 at 9:35 pm
Kagome BRONZE, Miami, Florida
Oh my god this poem made me regret all the horrible things I do to my mother what I put her through. It made me teary. I don't know what I would do without my mother even though she can be herself I love her very much but I don't think she realizes that I do appreciate her.

Hello,I'm... said...
on Nov. 25 2009 at 8:56 pm
Just let it out Hon...This poem made me feel what you feel, and see what you saw, and let me be a part of your confusion and sadness.

Cady_ PLATINUM said...
on Nov. 25 2009 at 3:18 pm
Cady_ PLATINUM, Godley, Texas

"Never judge a book by its cover.", and "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself." "Cherish your life." "Love equals eternity."

You know I started crying when i read this.... I am sorry bout your mother... I never complain about my mother as much as i use to, because my friends have lost their mother and i feel bad cause i barely know you but yet I feel bad for you at hte same time... I hope you keep the memories that you have and think of happy times you spentwith her...Five stars>>>

on Nov. 25 2009 at 1:35 pm
marleighxo6 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey

To me, “FEARLESS” is not the absence of fear. It’s not being completely unafraid. To me, FEARLESS is having fears. FEARLESS is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, FEARLESS is living in spite of those things that scare you to death.

- Taylor Swift

my eyes are tearing up...that was amazing!

i'm sorry about your mother. it must have been really hard.

decouvrir GOLD said...
on Nov. 25 2009 at 12:00 pm
decouvrir GOLD, Cedar Park, Texas

“Music is a total constant. That's why we have such a strong visceral connection to it, you know? Because a song can take you back instantly to a moment, or a place, or even a person. No matter what else has changed in your or the world, that one song says the same, just like that moment.” -Sarah Dessen

this ia a very good poem...but it breaks my heart too im sorry about your mother but I know how lucky I am to have a mom she and I are pretty close too but know that God is always with you :)

~God Bless! :)

on Nov. 22 2009 at 4:31 pm
LittleBritt PLATINUM, Washington, New Jersey
this is gorgeous. painful to read but gorgeous.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!