White Skies and Brown Stars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I identify with the stars.

My freckles are a reflection of the dark sky
above, but my skin is pale like new sheets
and my stars are brown like my eyes
and the dirt.

I live in the city
so the stars don’t shine as bright as
car headlights or
the towering buildings that cave me

into the cement that lines the Earth
I’m tired of blank skies and dotted skin.

Sometimes I look for constellations in my
skin but remember I am just flesh
and bones and not the
universe.

JRaye This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 1, 2015 at 10:11 am
Oh my actual goodness...you don't undeSTAND how amazing this is! I swear, this imagery is so unique and fantastic. This is so deep and meaningful and beautiful I just want to read it over and over again...this is so incredibly amazing, honest to God, I have no words. Brilliant.

MissEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely, beautiful and phenomenal. There's so much beauty and depth in it; just all in all, your poem has so much. You have such a talent and beauty and light and greatness; and so much more. You're a beautiful and talented and wonderful person and writer. Thank you so much for sharing this, and also congrats on getting an Editor's choice! :)