Ballet | Teen Ink

Ballet

By KayRae GOLD, Arlington Hts, Illinois
KayRae GOLD, Arlington Hts, Illinois

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

I could write a poem
and no one would know
it was about you and me.
It would just be about the coffee maker
grumbling in the morning,
like starting up an old chevy
when its cold outside.
The warmth seeping
through the coffee cup with the initials
engraved, surrounded by a heart.
The TV mumbling
someones movie script,
a woman with sorrow in her eyes
and pearls around her neck
fighting with the man she loves
and instead of fighting back he kisses her.
The blanket hugging
the couch
as if it was shivering
from the cold.
The cell phone vibrating,
notifying.
Don’t worry, I’ve got you
It would only be about how the snow
would float down
performing a pas de bourree
during a quiet ballet.

This is about someone I like. And the things we like.

KayRae GOLD said...
on Apr. 15 2015 at 2:13 pm
KayRae GOLD, Arlington Hts, Illinois

Thank you this is one of my favorite pieces!

Mickenzie GOLD said...
on Apr. 15 2015 at 7:46 am
Mickenzie GOLD, Blacklick, Ohio

It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.
Leonardo da Vinci

I love your use of imagery, this is really good! Job well done.