Traces of You | Teen Ink

Traces of You

February 28, 2015
By cammie_k GOLD, Boulder, Colorado
cammie_k GOLD, Boulder, Colorado
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu


When my sky dims into dark blue I think of you.

But when it fades to black I cry myself to sleep.

Sleep where we are together, but when I wake I'm dreaming again.

The clouds crashed over our sunshine and swallowed it whole and the rain came pouring and before I even knew it I was drowning and screaming and calling for you.

But why would you save me when you were the one who sent this storm?

You heard my pain mixed with the wind but you pretended it was just a whisper.

Everything I have smells like you even if you never touched it. Your smell like sweetness and power stuck to my clothes and my heart and my lips and my mind and my soul.

You controlled me.

I thought we were equal but when you left you pushed me into a pool of gasoline and tossed the spark while you walked away.

Oh so gently.

I thought our love was strong but it was a glass house and when you left me you shattered the walls. The shards crshed down all around me and I lay there will they cut me with my blood spiling on the floor and I thanked you for loving me.

Promises and lies and perfection and flaws.

I hate you so shallow and I love you so deep.

Every word you said to me I put in between my lips. I let it melt like chocolate and I kept it inside of me.

And now I'm vomiting up what's left of you trying to start over.

But your love,

Like acid,

Keeps burning,

My throat.


The author's comments:

I once read that we are the most poetic when we are heartbroken. I wrote this poem to allow myself to feel the loss and help myself to heal. As an added bonus, I think it turned out pretty well.

 

(This piece was written as a slam poem, meaning it is meant to be performed out loud.)