Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

By sophannista SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
sophannista SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

If you're quiet you're not living. You've got to be noisy, colorful, and lively.

I am from windy back roads, glistening with snow twinkling with the sunlight shining on the many different sized snow angels in the yard.
I am from green canopies covering the hidden, muddy trail that led us to castle ruins one day and magical forests filled with fairies the next.
I am from driveway basketball games, and scraped knees and kool-aid during the breaks to fight the sweltering heat.
I am from auburn, magenta, and gold leaves raked into a high pile, with children flopping in it until it's time to go inside and have tea and pumpkin bread.

I am from a soft pair of hands, designed for cradling children, wiping away tears, and holding my hand.
I am from a calloused pair of hands, designed for building cribs, gripping the baseball and holding my hand.
I am from the two pairs of hands that made seven more. Seven pairs of hands made for gripping the monkey bars, throwing the football, playing in the mud, pushing you down then pulling you back up. Seven pairs of hands holding mine.

We used to throw snowballs. We used to build snowmen, just to knock them down.
We used to run in the rain. We used to splash in the muddy water, just to slip in it eventually.
We used to swim in the pool. We used to hold each other under until someone screamed.
We used to hide in the orchard. We used to eat as many cinnamon donuts as we could.
Lucky for me, we used to play. Without touch-screens, controllers, rules or directions.
I am from real, honest fun.