Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

February 5, 2015
By bnovak23 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
bnovak23 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am from childhood.
From Saturday morning cartoons with my dad and brother—Spongebob, of course.
And from playing outside with the neighborhood kids until our moms called us home,
eager to see each other the next day.

 

I am from summer days spent with Granny and Grandpa.
From pancake breakfasts while Granny does her crosswords and Grandpa sips his coffee.


From hours of exploring through their woods and swimming in their pool with my brother, and Granny rubbing gooey sunscreen on our faces as we scrunched our noses.

 

I was from a typical girly-girl,
wearing only my favorite red sparkly shoes leaving trails of glitter and poofy, princess dresses.
From Becca Boo and Shmoo Bear;
names that still sneak their way into conversation.

I am now from a mint green, two-story house with a wide open, white pillared front porch.
From a three acre plot of land with colossal climbing trees and wispy, wind-blown tall grass.
From a winding, dirt track in the backyard trampled on by a hunter green fourwheeler and a cobalt blue dirt bike, ridden by my brother and me.

 

I am now from a child at heart, still mischievous and goofy.
From looking back and smiling, thinking how easy I had it and desiring to go back.
From determined to get the most out of the present as I did with ease before.
And I will always be from a childhood kids could only dream of.