Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

By MaiyaW SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
MaiyaW SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

I am from sunny pool days, sneaking chocolate chip cookies from the red flowered cookie jar and waking up to a cup of chocolate milk and Mr. Rodgers waiting for me on the TV.

I am from the white house with a forest green door that matches the grass that lies beneath…and a one acre backyard with a swing set, trampoline, and pool for the neighbors to enjoy.

I am from the dandelions picked during sunny summer days, the American Girl dolls beside my bed, and the scooter darting me frommy house to Emily and Ali’s.

I am from Easter morning with eggs and jelly beans scattered among the house…  and Valentine’s Day, waking up to a note from mom with a box of Sweethearts with my name on them.

I am from bouncing on the trampoline with my sister and neighborhood friends, riding horses on LT’s farm, and making concoctions of dish soap, oil, and food coloring.

I am from the boisterous, bickering household of siblings screaming and yelling…  and family game nights, playing the Elephant Game, Sorry, and Shoots and Ladders.

I am from playing Sims 2, baking gooey lemon meringue pies in my Easy Bake Oven, and sculpting one-foot towers of colorful
moon sand to watch them crumble.

I am from treating others how I wish to be treated and realizing life isn’t fair… and the Christian family that fails to go to church on Sunday mornings and breakfasts of pancakes and bacon.

I am from shoe shopping at boutiques in Galena, IL, with my fashionista grandma, rides in my Barbie Jeep, and lemonade stands at the end of my driveway on 80 degree summer days.

I am from Stevens Point, WI, from families traveling from Germany and Ireland, and Grandma Sherry’s house… with stacks of pictures of from five to fifty years ago.

I am from finger painting at the kitchen table, tickle fights
with dad, and playing school in
my basement with my sister.

I am from a loving family… and a childhood filled with limitless memories.