The Crack | Teen Ink

The Crack

By Brooke Fisher SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Brooke Fisher SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

On the week of labor day a few years ago I had a neck injury. This wasn’t the usual “I fell and broke my neck” situation. This is an interesting story on how I had a neck injury.

So this is how the big crack happened. When me and my older brother were jumping on my trampoline we were being like kids playing crack the egg and my brother attempted to jump over me but didn’t quite get over my head and suddenly i heard a crack.I started balling and my life just flashed before my eyes. My brother started to cry he was so worried what my dad was going to do to him because he hurt my dads only daughter, me.

While my brother was sitting there looking and staring at me my grandma called the ambulance. Now we weren’t that far out of town so we didn’t know what was taking so long i was laying in pain and they finally arrived. They arrived after twenty minutes, when they got to where i was laying they put me in a neck brace and they carefully put me on a large yellow board with holes on the side so the could carry me. While Me and my grandma were in the ambulance  the paramedics were asking me questions, too many questions. The ride was so bumpy and i was in great pain, they asked me a question like “on a scale of 1-10 what would you rate your pain?” I said 8/9.

When I arrived in the hospital I only had one doctor which is nice because I didn’t want a lot of people in my room. When my parents arrived the doctors took me to get an MRI. I had different types of scans done, and i didn’t like getting moved around a whole lot. They gave me some medicine, but that didn’t seem to help. Once they were done doing tests they asked me again “on a scale of 1-10 what is my pain rated.” I said “still an 8/9”

My brother wasn’t really worried about me he was more worried about what my dad was about to do to him. I kept thinking to myself “My life is over i’m going to be paralyzed”. But i am not paralyzed, my neck didn’t fracture, and am living a good life. All of this happened 4 years ago in the summer of 2011, and my parents are still paying the bill. I hope all of the people reading this can make a mental picture of what that night was like.