Auto-Odium | Teen Ink

Auto-Odium MAG

Impulsive shell,
You empty dreamer,
Gently tapping that orange-white divide.
Life is the unwanted ashes
You leave on the gravel,
Narcotic smoke dribbling
From your clenched teeth, clenched-fist-
Protest, you pretentious rebel
In faux leather, leathery smile;
You’re not fooling anyone,
Dear addict of Addictions.
Contradictions brand your character,
Searing through your true self:
That sniveling, snotty-nosed brat
Sniffling in the corner of your heart –
(Does a rehab program exist for
Existential crises?)
You murder that brat with each drag,
Brazenly dictating your death sentence,
And all in the name of
“Living.”

on Apr. 27 2015 at 10:03 pm
jennag4 PLATINUM, New City, New York

I write to be the characters that I'm not.

rereading this after a while and it makes much more sense after having a friend go through this recently. keep being honest with poetry it will never fail you

on Jan. 29 2015 at 12:51 pm
Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Thank you! :)

on Jan. 29 2015 at 12:51 pm
Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

Thanks, btw :)

on Jan. 29 2015 at 7:17 am
Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

Long time no talk. Sorry about that. It seems as though I'm always apologizing for answering late. Really, this is verisimilitude--it's about myself. I didn't think it was when I first wrote it, but looking back, I should have known. Hit me up with an email if you have any work you'd like me to read; I'd love to!

on Jan. 23 2015 at 9:07 pm
jennag4 PLATINUM, New City, New York

does a rehab exist for extensentiaal crisis? that is the sory of my life very well written keep it up!!!

Mckay ELITE said...
on Jan. 22 2015 at 8:40 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

It's been a while since I've read one of your poems, my dear. I'm glad I was emailed about this one. Firstly, congrats on the Editors' Choice. Well deserved. I love your rebel imagery. You demonstrate this rebellious attitude often attributed with smoking. I kept visualizing James Dean and Marlo Brando, especially when you mentioned faux-leather jacket and leathery smile. You state that smoking is the addiction of all addictions: true. It seems like a lot of people aren't aware of this fact. But in this lyrical poem you bring that to attention. I love the sassyness in the end: perfect touch.