Auto-Odium This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By , No Where, FL

Impulsive shell,
You empty dreamer,
Gently tapping that orange-white divide.
Life is the unwanted ashes
You leave on the gravel,
Narcotic smoke dribbling
From your clenched teeth, clenched-fist-
Protest, you pretentious rebel
In faux leather, leathery smile;
You’re not fooling anyone,
Dear addict of Addictions.
Contradictions brand your character,
Searing through your true self:
That sniveling, snotty-nosed brat
Sniffling in the corner of your heart –
(Does a rehab program exist for
Existential crises?)
You murder that brat with each drag,
Brazenly dictating your death sentence,
And all in the name of
“Living.”

jennag4 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
rereading this after a while and it makes much more sense after having a friend go through this recently. keep being honest with poetry it will never fail you

does a rehab exist for extensentiaal crisis? that is the sory of my life very well written keep it up!!!

Carpe-Caffeam This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you! :)

Mckay This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's been a while since I've read one of your poems, my dear. I'm glad I was emailed about this one. Firstly, congrats on the Editors' Choice. Well deserved. I love your rebel imagery. You demonstrate this rebellious attitude often attributed with smoking. I kept visualizing James Dean and Marlo Brando, especially when you mentioned faux-leather jacket and leathery smile. You state that smoking is the addiction of all addictions: true. It seems like a lot of people aren't aware of this fact. But... (more »)

Jan. 29, 2015 at 7:17 am
Long time no talk. Sorry about that. It seems as though I'm always apologizing for answering late. Really, this is verisimilitude--it's about myself. I didn't think it was when I first wrote it, but looking back, I should have known. Hit me up with an email if you have any work you'd like me to read; I'd love to!

Thanks, btw :)