The Empty Streets This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watched the traffic lights change
from green to yellow to red,
from behind my steering wheel,
from the other side of the glass.
And I drove the empty streets
that reminded me so much of
the empty hallways of your heart;
I guess I knew you weren’t coming back.
So I circled the block once more
hoping maybe we would pass
and I nearly thought we did,
but those weren’t your headlights
that I was staring at.
The slow and steady pulsing
of the biggest small town,
cars passing through lights
like my blood through valves;
missing you is like background noise,
like traffic outside my window at night.
And when I press my head to your chest
to hear the slow and steady pulsing
of your blood circling the block again,
the stars spread out before me
like city lights from atop a hill.

InkWriter13 said...
Wonderful poem. A truly great metaphor/simile/analogy. Very effective, very real. An original thought, a powerful message. Great work on this. Loved it! 5 stars. :D Would you please comment on my poem titled the Girl? I would really love your feedback! :)

caylajoan said...
May 3, 2012 at 9:09 am
this is amazing, very creative! i can totally relate. love the imagery. keep it up ! 

Missundrstoodx2 said...
Jan. 14, 2012 at 12:56 am
this is wonderful, and probably hits home for a lot of people. i know i drive around all the time with the hypotheticals, thinking about alternative situations, thinking about the stillness of life...the connections we've made and what we would do to have them back, to have them always...

Muzix said...
I love this poem especially the last two lines good job keep up the good work !

nikkiee said...
This is amazing. By far my favorite poem on teen ink :)

reblep said...
beautiful, i can totally relate. 

Em28 said...
I love the connection between theheart and searching for this person that you love. The poem itself is so creative. You are a wonderful writer!

shizuka said...
the pic matches the poem perfectly!

lala15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow! i wish i could write half as good as u can!

Babbe2 said...
I like this poem but i rlly wanna know wat u were thinking when u wrote it i cant figure it out

beach said...
i like it, a little long for me, but very good

Liv_Drummer said...
seriously deep..

Hollywood_2118 said...
while i love the imagery, just dont see how this makes sense. first, correct me if im wrong but the beginning of this poem makes it sound as though the writer is hoping to find this person they share a connection with, and at the end they write as though they have their head pressed to said persons chest, even though they stated the person was no where to be seen, in other words of course, earlier in the poem? maybe it just me but..

k8husted This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
It's just you.

AllyssaAtlantis This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love it!!!

pnkninja11 said...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 7:13 am
This is a great poem! I liked how you showed a lot of imagery with your words. It also showed deep emotions.

OriginalCarbonation said...
i really enjoy how it had a certain off-ness to it but yet the very same way it wasnt quite right made it all the more spot on perfect.haha! that takes some serious talent. good job, keep it up! :)

gargar said...
This poem is amazing! The metaphors are wonderful and you are very good at articulating your thoughts. Check mine out?

DaydreamBeliever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love how you pick words that fit but are not the words i would expect. 'like my blood through valves' it just fits and gives the poem a lighter, pprettir feeling:)

JaimeNichole said...
I really enjoyed this poem. You drew me in right from the beginning with your words. I felt like I could relate and I was drawn in. I loved the imagery and comparisons used in this. Very creative. Please read some of my work, I'm really looking for feedback