My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

By Lexie_Lynn GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lexie_Lynn GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Don't count the times you fall, count the times you get back up."

Dad protects America.
Everyday we pray,
“God, let him live another day,”
Then you took the pain away--
from Dad--the soldier I call my hero.
“I’ll be like you, Dad--some day.”

My dad is in the military and I went to a ceremony where him and other of the guys he works with got awards and I saw lots of families in the gym who were there to support their loved one(s) in the military. I got tears in my eyes because had so much respect for those who serve including my dad. Hearing the stories that the soldiers were rewarded for got me amazed. He is deploying one more time and then he will retire but the poem i wrote is basically about a little boy whose dad got deployed to Iraq. I am a christian so I included a prayer type of thing. His family prays for the boy's dad that he wont die and God will give him an extra day to live so he can come to his family safely and be happy. But the soldier dies and the little boy calls his dad his hero because his dad faught and risked his life not only for his family, but for his country. Soldiers are truly our heros and I don't only THINK but I KNOW that people should pay attention to THEM more than people pay attention to those who get paid to be in front of a camera for entertainment because they don't risk their lives fighting for millions of people.