Home is Where the Heart Is | Teen Ink

Home is Where the Heart Is

By JoleneB SILVER, Peachtree City, Georgia
JoleneB SILVER, Peachtree City, Georgia

Now you need to hear what the house has to say.

You’ll hear the heart no other way.

Your house is treated with no respect; /it’s trampled on each and every day with neglect.

Your house doesn’t get cleaned enough, /but you’ve learnt to live with the dirt and cluttered stuff.

Your house hears your voices of anger, pain, and confusion, /but it’s just here to keep you feeling safe inside, hoping for no intrusion.

Your house can’t protect you everywhere you go, /and from every dangerous foe.

Your house deals with all the things you put inside it, /things that don’t belong, things that don’t fit.

Your house is getting old, easy to break, /and it’s beginning to crumble at the stake.

Your house isn’t easy to fix with glue; /and it’s getting tired of always standing strong for you.

Your house needs a helping hand; /there isn’t much more it can withstand.

Your house needs a lot of repair and affection, /maybe even some touch-ups to its imperfection.

Your house needs to be treated like something more fragile, /like it’s actually important to you, and worth your while.

Your house is breaking, but all you’re using is glue, /its continuous shaking can only be fixed with a sturdy screw, or even two.

It’s praying it could be speaking, but you’ll only hear its creaking, /it hopes that you listen closer, to hear that it is also beating.

Maybe one day you’ll hear what your house has to say, /because your house creak will turn into your heart beat, one day.
Together they will finally speak as one, /and out words will finally come. 

Help us both, is what the house says as it’s falling apart, /because home is where the heart is, your heart is your home, and your home is your heart.

I would like my readers to understand that your heart is as important to your well being as your home. I always loved the phrase, "home is where the heart is," so i incorperated it into this piece. Hope everyone enjoys it. The copy and paste might not have worked the way it should have, so sorry in advance if there are spaces.