Home is Where the Heart Is | Teen Ink

Home is Where the Heart Is

November 10, 2014
By JoleneB SILVER, Peachtree City, Georgia
JoleneB SILVER, Peachtree City, Georgia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments


Now you need to hear what the house has to say.

You’ll hear the heart no other way.

Your house is treated with no respect; /it’s trampled on each and every day with neglect.

 

Your house doesn’t get cleaned enough, /but you’ve learnt to live with the dirt and cluttered stuff.

Your house hears your voices of anger, pain, and confusion, /but it’s just here to keep you feeling safe inside, hoping for no intrusion.

Your house can’t protect you everywhere you go, /and from every dangerous foe.

Your house deals with all the things you put inside it, /things that don’t belong, things that don’t fit.

Your house is getting old, easy to break, /and it’s beginning to crumble at the stake.

Your house isn’t easy to fix with glue; /and it’s getting tired of always standing strong for you.

Your house needs a helping hand; /there isn’t much more it can withstand.

Your house needs a lot of repair and affection, /maybe even some touch-ups to its imperfection.

Your house needs to be treated like something more fragile, /like it’s actually important to you, and worth your while.

Your house is breaking, but all you’re using is glue, /its continuous shaking can only be fixed with a sturdy screw, or even two.

It’s praying it could be speaking, but you’ll only hear its creaking, /it hopes that you listen closer, to hear that it is also beating.

Maybe one day you’ll hear what your house has to say, /because your house creak will turn into your heart beat, one day.
Together they will finally speak as one, /and out words will finally come. 

Help us both, is what the house says as it’s falling apart, /because home is where the heart is, your heart is your home, and your home is your heart.
 


The author's comments:

I would like my readers to understand that your heart is as important to your well being as your home. I always loved the phrase, "home is where the heart is," so i incorperated it into this piece. Hope everyone enjoys it. The copy and paste might not have worked the way it should have, so sorry in advance if there are spaces.