Power | Teen Ink

Power

By ljweng22 BRONZE, Broadway, Virginia
ljweng22 BRONZE, Broadway, Virginia

One simple moment frozen in space, so mysterious yet knowing. A slice of time itself, shared between two souls; a yearning, yet a distance, a wall separating each from complete understanding. It’s like looking at a mirror, only seeing a reflection. It may only be the bending of a beam of light, but in that moment, everything changes. Old somehow become new, and all things are truly understood for the first time; the smallest details become the biggest ones. Its a moment, just a fraction of a second in the neverending process of time, where everything just seems like its going to be ok for once. It’s the only true way to communicate through the borders and boundries of language and culture. The one place and time where we’re all the same, just a soul trying to make it through the next day, trying to understand, to be understood, while still making choices to share or not to share. The split second before hand, the suspense taken on by two individuals both wondering if it will be the other to initiate. If careful cognizance is not taken from the exact situation, the moment passes, never to feel that serge of emotion, the power that is capable to change lives and alter realities. One would just go on, never to know if the other felt the tension, never to  understand what it all could really mean, only having the doubt and confusion. The complexity of something that has infinite potential, yet can so easily produce nothing, is immense, a constantly revolving door that can burst open into the vast universe of heartfelt knowledge and understanding, or can lead to a blank abyss of nonexistance where something always becomes nothing, and one is left with the disorientation and confusion of piecing together a life they thought they once knew.
A smile is a powerful thing. Use it wisely.