Domestic Goddess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My
mother told
me that if I were smart, I too
would become a domestic goddess, like her.
For one thing, she says that they are the wisest of women
armed with the sacred knowledge that tonic water can eradicate most stains
or that baking soda in the refrigerator can keep most meats from spoiling too quickly.
She argues that Aphrodite’s beauty pales in comparison to the colors of laundered clothes
and a supper of tepid, golden chicken that only an experienced domestic goddess can achieve.
Our home is her Mt. Olympus
and the kitchen serves as Mother’s temple,
despite the fact that there is no sculpture erected in her honor,
unless you want to count the vanilla candle that I made for her last Christmas.
Her nimble fingers scold my clumsier ones as they falter over slicing salad greens.
I say that Homer has a broader mind’s eye than any goddess, I’d much rather write The Iliad.

Reader:) said...
So your saying that you and your mom are smart because you stay home and cook...

Reader:) replied...
Dec. 3, 2009 at 9:12 pm :
and wash the laundry...

Reader:) replied...
Dec. 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm :
explain...

theauthor replied...
Dec. 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm :
the mother thinks it's a smart idea for her daughter to become a "domestic goddess" and fulfill the ideal "womans role" in the household. the child doesn't want to, but respects her mother and admires all of the things that she does around the household just the same.

?!Zeya!? replied...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 11:49 am :
Really Really kewl

kpf1991 said...
Hey could you check out "anguish" or "They see through me" and rate it or just let know what you think? you have great talent and i'd really appreciate your input

ariwrites94 said...
Hey, wonderful work!!! this is amazing . . . U write beautifuly so continue writing!!! also plz check out my poem called "Sensitive Am I" and it would be appreciated a comment and a rating, thankx! and keep up the good work!!!

theauthor said...
wow, i am the author of this poem and i would like to thank all of you for taking the time to even read my work. you have no idea how much i deeply appreciate your feedback.

OutcastGirl1994 said...
I Love It!! It Shows Simply The Strength Of All Mothers That Often Goes Unappreciated! Kudos To You!

Schubster said...
Nov. 11, 2009 at 7:40 am:
wonderful and very original. Any Olympian fan would love this. Great job! :)

Aly S. said...
This poem is amazing. I love the Greek Mythology references.

Anblue said...
lol, i luv greek mythology
athena is my fave, but my current avvie is Aphrodite

Wildheart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 11, 2009 at 3:08 pm :
my fav goddess is demeter, i had to do a report on her and for some reason i just love her!

Alexandra K. said...
i thought that was really well written and i loved the references made to the greek gods. I also really like how you were talking about how you didn't want to be a goddess like your mother but do your own thing which is what we all want in the end =] It was well-written. great job.

jmc.13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 27, 2009 at 10:25 am:
Great work! I loved your parallels and slight sarcasm...also, fantastic atmosphere!

lovehate29This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 4:38 pm:
Wow! I like how you used comparisons in this piece! Very good! And congrats on getting it published! Keep up the good work :)

Moyruh said...
May 27, 2009 at 1:51 am:
That was fantastic :]I loved your imagery and your vocabularly was refreshingly diverse.
Great job!

stuntin said...
May 13, 2009 at 6:05 pm:
wow great poem

LilJ<3 said...
What i got from the poem was that there is a certain expectation of the someone by their mother.... she expects so much that sometimes the pressure is too much...I think the poem was great and that many people can relate to it. Great Job.... Continue, your doing really really well..
♥ Jackie

kaitydots said...
I too realy enjoyed this poem.
Everyone was saying that it was cute, and you must think alot of your mother, but, is that what it is about?
From the poem, I got that your mom wants you to be like her, not that YOU want to be like her. I like how there is still room for interpritation. Way to go :)

AKlore said...
Mar. 31, 2009 at 9:33 pm:
Thank you for that. It was great.