Little Children | Teen Ink

Little Children

October 26, 2014
By Rachel Rhee BRONZE, Glencoe, Illinois
Rachel Rhee BRONZE, Glencoe, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

oh little children, you deserved so much more than this wretched world. 

 

you deserve to sleep in a comfy and warm matress every night.

you deserve to see hot bread and fresh fruit on your plate every day.

you deserve to wander around the neighborhood, exploring the earth.

you deserve to be kissed by your mother and father before you fall asleep. you deserve to laugh until your stomach aches and tears are streaming down.

you deserve to watch the glorious sunrise at 5am and the basking sunset at 8pm.

you deserve to be in a community where they continually offer their helping hands.

you deserve to look to your friends and see the look of we got your back, don't worry.

you deserve to fall in and out of love and make mistakes in your life over and over again. 

you dserve to make the biggest decisions of life and worry and fret and delight over them.

you deserve to be reminded daily of how you are perfect as you are regardless of race or religion.

you deserve to reach for the stars and grab them and shout, "i did it!" to those who said you couldn't.

 

instead, you got nothing and heard silence and for that,

i say to you over and over again

i am truly sorry.

that the billions of people could not offer you no helping hand,

no warms beds to sleep on,

no fresh food to fill your stomach,

no love from the people you once called brother and sister,

no defiant no, this is not right's to those who tried to bring you down.

 

but i want you to know, that humans must make their mistakes so they can learn from them.

you didn't deserve the pain you had to undergo but from those experiences, we will learn.

we will learn to speak out to those who are intentionally isolating and abusing others.

we will learn to rip off the tape of silence wrapped on our mouths and speak up. 

we will learn that regardless of the color of our skin, our language, or religion that we possess —

we, humans, are all equal and have the ability to welcome each other with open arms.

i stomp my feet to the ground and promise you with joy that i will do my part to stop another genocide. 

i will do everything within my power to keep others from inhumanely killing their fellow brothers and sisters.

i will look to my neighbors and treat them with the respect that they desrve. 

i will stand up for my friends and foes if they are ever mistreated.

he and she and me will learn from our mistakes and change.


The author's comments:

this is for the children of the holocaust.