Lay There Still | Teen Ink

Lay There Still

October 22, 2014
By squirrelqueen1022 GOLD, Youngstown, Ohio
squirrelqueen1022 GOLD, Youngstown, Ohio
11 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is never easy but the smart ones find ways to make it easier and strong ones keep moving forward.


One Saint Patrick’s Day morning.
A small walk down an alley.
A slight breeze and a gray sky.
Arriving at my grandma’s house.
Short time spent there and once again starting the walk back up going to my bus stop.
At school our teacher gave us each a fake gold coin.
She told us that if we kept it all day we would have good luck.
If you look around the room on the walls you’d see that she cut out little footprints.
She told us they were leprechaun footprints they led to the vent.
After school I walked home kicking pebbles in front of me.
I went home walked in front of my mother and simply quietly asked can I walk to grandmas?
She responded no, not today go watch TV.
She left me confused not explaining to a 2nd grader why she couldn’t go.
I went everyday.
She might as well of told me you can never go not today not tomorrow never.
I say this because about 2 hours later my mother, my uncle, and my grandmother walked into the room and told me my great grandmother had died.
She was found on the kitchen floor.
I cried not wanting to believe what they told me so I screamed NO! You’re lying!
I went upstairs and lay in my bed and cried saying it should have been me not her.
I laid there watching the Sky Bank sign out my bedroom window.
I cried myself to sleep.
On the day of her funeral I didn’t want to get out of the car.
I felt like a little piece of me died.
But I did.
I sat in the front row not focusing on anything else but from what was in front of me.
The pastor and a little white box.
As the pastor read poems from a little white book with a boy going up and his shoe falling to earth on the cover.
I sat there remembering so many memories, memories flashing before my eyes.
I started crying.
Then when the pastor was putting the little white box into a wall everyone got together and watched and cried I stood in the front of them.
Watching them place pictures into it.
I saw a picture of me, my sister Caity, and my sister Aly all in matching dresses put in there.
After the pictures were placed in there I went to the back of the crowd.
Still able to see what they were doing.
My face seemed emotionless; I didn’t want to believe what was going on around me.
A blank facial expression and a single tear running down my face.
After we moved into my grandmother’s house I walked into the kitchen and lay on the floor.
Lying there, eyes closed not moving moving a muscle.