Teapot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The low shrieking of a red teapot
A fire burning its base
Your eyes are unclear
Unfocused
The teapot hot and shrieking
Its white, steamy fog
scorching your already blistered hand
as you grip the black metal handle
You stand there
Still
Staring into the clear abyss
Waiting
For what
May no longer exist

HWCW said...
The shriek of the teapot signals that something has changed from one state to another. Boiling water vaporizes; what exists may disappear. Yet the speaker holds fast to the teapot handle, burning herself, conveying powerful experience of that moment when we realize own mortality.

face-erased This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. Let me just say, you deserve the editor's choice badge. This poem is incredibly well written and struck me as being very original. I found it to be a little scary and it left me feeling uneasy - was this your intended effect? I love how you don't just come right out and say what the meaning is, you leave it up to the reader to draw their own conclusions. My interpretation of this poem is that maybe the person holding the teapot is going through some kind of shock, like they've r... (more »)