Teapot | Teen Ink

Teapot MAG

By HarmonyWicker BRONZE, Oakland, California
HarmonyWicker BRONZE, Oakland, California

The low shrieking of a red teapot
A fire burning its base
Your eyes are unclear
Unfocused
The teapot hot and shrieking
Its white, steamy fog
scorching your already blistered hand
as you grip the black metal handle
You stand there
Still
Staring into the clear abyss
Waiting
For what
May no longer exist

HWCW said...
on Sep. 30 2014 at 1:50 pm
The shriek of the teapot signals that something has changed from one state to another. Boiling water vaporizes; what exists may disappear. Yet the speaker holds fast to the teapot handle, burning herself, conveying powerful experience of that moment when we realize own mortality.

on Sep. 29 2014 at 12:22 pm
AprilNicoleJones BRONZE, New Castle, Indiana

"I write only because
there is a voice within me
that will not be still."
~ SYLVIA PLATH

(MY FORMER ACCOUNTS: Icantwrite & Punk.Snowflake)
Published poems from my former accounts:
- FRAIL HOPE (Icantwrite)
- YOURSELF (Punk.Snowflake)

Wow. Let me just say, you deserve the editor's choice badge. This poem is incredibly well written and struck me as being very original. I found it to be a little scary and it left me feeling uneasy - was this your intended effect? I love how you don't just come right out and say what the meaning is, you leave it up to the reader to draw their own conclusions. My interpretation of this poem is that maybe the person holding the teapot is going through some kind of shock, like they've recieved some bad news - maybe news of a death? Anway, I also love how you end the poem with that neat little rhyme at the end "Still staring into the clear abyss, waiting for what may no longer exist". I find that rhyming tends to make a good ending for an otherwise non-rhyming poem. In all, I really enjoyed this, it made me feel deeply. Congratulations on the editor's choice badge! If you wouldn't mind sropping by my page and leaving a comment on my poem "Eccentric" I would really appreciate it! Thanks. :)